Load bearing Stud wall

On 18 Apr 2006 12:22:15 -0700, a particular chimpanzee named " snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Quite common in older properties which were built before the ever-vigilant Building Control Officers put a stop to it.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

I have it in a 1970s house which I don't consider particularly old.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I worked on an estate of houses in the early 1990's and they all ha blockwork partitions built directly of off the floor boards

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

I meant his wall, not any wall in any house, although from all the newbuild houses I've worked on (cavity wall insulation for 12 yrs and about half of the houses (1 a day typically) were newbuild and done from inside prior to plaster) I've never known a load bearing wall upstairs, in fact, the downstairs walls were block and upstairs were usually floorboarded out completely before any walls erected, obviously the rooves were finished prior to insulation, so I can't imagine that any 'load' would be on the walls at all.

I apologise :o)

Yes, but not in the case of extending a toilet/washroom by a foot.

As above, in the houses I've worked on I've never seen 4X2 studding, although when the OP's house was built this may have been the case (late forties/early fifties), again a guess, but literally millions of council estates went up during this era, paid for by uncle Sam.

This 'scant' that they sell now is garbage, it's less than 3X2 and it's not even stopped growing! - if you leave a piece somewhere and go back to it a few months later, it's tied itself in knots! - i've used a nailgun on new pine and the nails will go almost through the timber, it's forced to grow so quickly and planted so close that the wood isn't 'solid, it's almost like balsa.... old reclaimed timbers are best, although they should be treated before use.

Reply to
Phil L