Lithofin Stainstop - Seal the Grout?

Hi all

A few weeks back I was looking into sealer for marble tiles - "Marble Mosaic Tiles - Sealing and Grouting Advice".

I was recommended to use Lithofin products for sealing the marble. I am now on the point of applying this sealer and wondered whether I should be using it on the grout also. The Lithofin guy recommended MN Stain Stop for the marble (I sent him a sample). I have ordered BAL Microflex grout on the advice of BAL technicals which has some anti bacterial properties.

For those who have already used Lithofin stuff - Andy Hall and Grunff - did you also seal all grouting in the bathroom with the Lithofin as well as the marble tiles?

I have majority ceramic tiles, with the marble mosaics forming vertical and horizontal "borders". Can I apply Stain Stop to the grout between the ceramic tiles as well, or will it damage these? There is some disclaimer on the tin warning not to let the Stain Stop contact polished surfaces! My tiles are more of a matt finish.

Also on the Stainstop tin there is a note recommending that the sealer is used without delay once it has been opened. Assuming I put the lid back on between usages, what is the useful life - one week, one month?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I used it all over the tumbled marble tiles including the grout. It did not create an obvious coating or alter the appearance significantly from matt. I used two coats.

I would try it on some spares and see.

I did a treatment on another area of tiles about three months after the first area and no problems.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I bought it specifically to seal grout around normal glazed ceramic tiles. It worked very well.

I applied it generously with a brush, left for about 10 minues, then wiped off. No damage.

I would say a long time. It's just a silane or similar dissolved in an organic solvent. I doubt much will happen to it in a few months.

Reply to
Grunff

Absolutely. Sealing the grout is one of its main purposes.

I've just finished my kitchen floor (rough slate) and made pretty sure I'd brushed it into all the grout crevices.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

How long did it take in the end?

Are you pleased with the results?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

We want photos! Closeups if possible please.

Reply to
Grunff

It took me 3 and a half days. Appromixately (and somewhat overlapping):

1 day laying out and cutting. 1 day sticking and levelling. 1 day treating. 1/2 day grouting.

I am very pleased. It has totally transformed the room. We're definitely going to use more slate in the conservatory and probably for the patio and the side passage. I suspect we would use the Sheng Li rather than Bamboo for that, as it is wear rated 6 for outdoor use.

As I couldn't find my tile saw, I made all the cuts with one of those 6.99 angle grinders from screwfix (with diamond blade). However, it is far from a smooth floor (I quite like this). As they were large 60x40 tiles, the undulations mean that it is simply not possible to have smooth grout lines, as each tile can vary in thickness greatly over their lengths, making it not a case of simply adjusting the tiles at the corners. Despite these undulations, the average thicknesses of the tiles was pretty much constant.

In the end, I just made sure the few particularly thin or thick tiles were placed (or discarded) carefully and layed the others more by appearance than attempting to match the undulations. A couple of corners were quite bad trip hazards where the corner flared up from a lower average line, but after a bit of experimenting on an offcut, I realised that I could just grind off the raised corner with the angle grinder. This was extremely effective and didn't leave obvious machining marks.

The tiles actually came up quite green under the colour enhancer. This looks very nice, if not exactly what we saw in the showroom, which was quite brown. Luckily, I anticipated this possibility, so didn't actually order the granite worksurfaces (or any wall tiles/paint) in case the colour match wouldn't have been good. I think we might choose a greenish grey one to match, now, though.

Best of all, the washing machine fitted under the lintel with 2mm to spare!

I obviously judged the 3mm bed reasonably well, as I used precisely the amount it said in the instructions, so I didn't need to open the 3rd bag, which should do most of the conservatory when it arrives.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks once again fellas.

This bathroom is turning into a major project! However with help from guys here I'm getting there (unfortunately not much quicker than British Rail though!)

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster