Ligthing Ideas

I am still gathering ideas for lighting my kitchen. (I don't want to fit downlighters in the ceiling due to constraints of joist directions). One idea is a couple of modern circular fluorescents - another is to make something like a pane as illustrated in this:
http://www.theexcitinglightingcompany.com/panels.htm
Has anyone done this and got any ideas or tips?

I did something similar in my kitchen. In my case the purpose for it was to conceal a structural beam.
Basically, I made an MDF soffit and fit downlighters into it. the top of it is lit using cold cathode neon.
The finished thing: http://gallery.mac.com/loopylup#100003 The build pictures: http://gallery.mac.com/loopylup#100026
Steve

I did something similar in my kitchen. In my case the purpose for it was to conceal a structural beam.
Basically, I made an MDF soffit and fit downlighters into it. the top of it is lit using cold cathode neon.
The finished thing: http://gallery.mac.com/loopylup#100003 The build pictures: http://gallery.mac.com/loopylup#100026
Steve
Really good - thanks for sharing the pictures - amazing project in total. (love the retro clothes airer!!!)

Hey - leave my funky clothes dryer alone... :)
I have a defence - we had no power in the utility room at the point I took the photos!

Hey - leave my funky clothes dryer alone... :)
I have a defence - we had no power in the utility room at the point I took the photos!
Calm down - I wanted you to know I had looked!
Great end result.

Kitchen lighting is often covered in this newsgroup. One common recommendation from myself and others is to use hidden fluorescent lighting on cupboard tops reflecting off a brilliant white ceiling. This is augmented with task lighting where required, e.g. under cupboards over worktops.
I've done the lighting in a number of kitchens, and when possible, I use this scheme. Reasons for not doing so are cupboards which go right up to the ceiling, or householders who for some reason don't want that scheme. Frankly, nothing else comes even close for effectiveness. Unless your kitchen is just for show and not functional, you need really good general lighting, and that's very difficult to achieve using any kind of trendy style lighting, as it's mostly designed for appearance rather than function.
That doesn't mean you can't have style lighting too, and many kitchens aren't only used for food preparation, so I certainly wouldn't suggest ignoring style lighting, which you can regard as part of the decorations. However, treat it as something separate from your general purpose lighting, and make it separately switchable.
--
Andrew Gabriel