lighting

I was looking at the lights in our local hospital - they appear to have 2 CFLs horizontally in the fittings with a decent reflector. The light quality seems good. Is there anything significantly different with these CFLs to those we get at home? - the light quality seemed good and I was thinking about them for my kitchen. Are such fittings available for domestic use? Preferably surface mount.

Reply to
John

I put similar single tube louvre reflector fittings over my worktops in my kitchen back in Twickenham. Excellent shadow free light for working under. They came from eBay. New owner skipped them, probably in favour of nasty shadow-inducing 50W halogen spots.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Either PL or T5 , PLb is single ended U , T5 is double ended, 5mm dianeter.

Commercial lighting suppliers rather than B&Q and ebay after you get over the sticker shock of commercial lighting prices.

The advantage is unlike consumer grade CFL, T5 lamps are available in excellent whites, paging Mr Gabriel for a better explanation.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Didn't you prise them away from their ceiling tiles or whatever to find the make/model? Phone the hospital leccy and ask! Ask for the engineer - I've always found hospital engineers very helpful and down-to-earth (no pun intended).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Something like this?

Reply to
<me9

Thanks - I missed that on TLC - I looked in Fluorescent. Not a bad price. I haven't got my head round recessed yet though. I was hoping to avoid it.

Reply to
John

Oops... 5/8 in. diameter, aka 16 mm :-)

Reply to
Andy Wade

Nope, confusingly , 5mm , T8 is 8mm and oldest style tubes are T12 ,er, 12mm. T4 is the non standard 4mm under cabinet tube that is made by various Far Eastern makers in their own lengths.

Things with MR reflectors lamps, like MR16 , are in 1/8"s MR16 2" , MR11, 1 5/8" and cute MR8 , 1"

PAR are similar , PAR56 7" lamp PAR64 8" lamp think the old money measurements are down to US lamp standards , almost all lamps have a three letter ANSI code , American National Standards Institute,.

No idea why fluro tubes ended up metric, but be interested to know.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Sorry, that's just plain wrong. One 'T' is 1/8 inch or about 3mm (lamp sizes tend to get rounded a bit).

In flu tubes T5 is 16 mm, T8 is 26 mm and T12 is 38 mm.

In LEDs (wire ended) T1 is 3 mm and T1-3/4 is 5 mm.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Do,you are, of course , right, just as well wasn`t handling a Mars orbiter..

Will consult my dealer about the strength of crack they have been supplying me..

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby