Light switch mounting

Bit of a random question I was thinking why are light switches mounted high-ish on walls wouldn't it be easier to mount them lower with thought of operation in mind.

Only reason I asked is I was at the dentist (one painful experience) and noticed all their switches lower down on the wall about waist high to me being 6" 4

Reply to
Peter smith

Peter smith gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

They'll have been put lower with wheelchair access in mind.

If that's not an issue, then the "traditional" height's big advantage - familiarity in the dark - has to be fairly conclusive.

Reply to
Adrian

I would think that having light switches pretty high up and electrical sockets just above the skirting board was often a pragmatic decision to reduce the amount of disruption and replastering.

Reply to
Jim

Not really. Low sockets are MUCH safer from the point of view of trailing wires, in the days when most appliances were floor based.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Peter smith" wrote

Take it you don't have kids then! The height keeps them out of reach until they've grown enough to understand they are not toys (particularly as a large percentage of kids' toys have flashing lights by design).

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Probably for wheelchair users. Although I doubt many dentists or their assistants are.

Traditionally switches were put out of reach of small children.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not only is having them out of reach of small children useful, but having them fairly high helps adults too - my doorhandles are lever type and at elbow level, with the lightswitches about a foot higher, this means that when I'm carrying something, I can open the door with my elbow and (bending a bit) turn the light on with my nose!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

New builds will have them no higher than 1.2m from the floor level to comply with part M. In older properties, higher was normal.

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm saying something like:

While I don't mind complying with cripple legislation, I'd be inclined to parallel a low one with a high one.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That would have interesting results. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)