Light Socket 'Y' Adapter

Yes, running an extension lead into your bathtub did make me raise my eyebrows.

I hope at least you are going to turn off the water supply to the taps...

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

The squirty water jet pressure washer thing I use on my teef and gums cane with a razor plug and an adaptor to 13a plug. A warning in the instrctions said it wouldn't work on a shaver socket. My shaver socket in the cloakroom is not an isolating transformer type, but it still cut out promptly using that.

Reply to
<me9

What is its input power requirement? What is the fuse/MCB rating protecting the shaver sockets circuit?

Reply to
John Rumm

Sounds like the easiest is to wrap the barrel and run the heater at

15w via a capacitor

NT

Reply to
NT

I too couldn't understand why that warning is made. My 'Waterpik' is only rated at 45W so less than 0.25A current draw.

Reply to
The Other Mike

So the shaver socket is not going to be happy running that from its 20VA transformer then...

Reply to
John Rumm

Dunno, but enough for it to trip within a minute or so IIRC. My previous similar device didn't trip the razor socket. which is the same size as a single 13a socket outlet and looks as if it is from the MK logic range. I think it came from TLC when I did some other electrical work.

6A MCB, which doesn't trip.

The shaver socket is now paralelled by a 13a socket (slightly naughty) protected obviously with the same MCB, and feeds the squirty thing successfully. It is very unlikely to be used for anything more than the squirty thing and my toothbrush charger.

It is in the downstairs bog so prat P doesn't surface.

Reply to
<me9

It is one of those. My hydrofloss one didn't trip it but failed after a year. It would have cost more to repair than replace, like a lot of modern things.

Reply to
<me9

Sounds like the self resetting thermal fuse in the transformer is going. Chances are its pulling more than the allowed 20VA

(assuming this thing has a pump, its possible its a small induction motor and hence a poor power factor - that would make it even harder for the transformer)

I have yet to find a case where it does ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I didn't realise they were rated as low as that

Reply to
The Other Mike

The MK one is rated at 200mA so nominal 46W

Reply to
Andy Burns

Nominally 46VA not W - see comments about motor types elsewhere.

Reply to
John Rumm

They sound like amateurs, not armatures....

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

It's just a wind-up.

Reply to