Light bulbs blowing after only days

The inhabitants are selling the bulbs in exchange for 'blown' bulbs.

Mark each one with a lick of red paint before inserting.

Also, be aware that in semi public spaces, its customary to nick the bulb in the hall when your room light goes..it may simply be that what appears o be short lived bulbs are simply common areas where people have nicked the bulbs.

Also bulk buy quality bulbs online from reputable dealers..a LOT of east europe bulbs are suitable only for road fill.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

boy i was in a good mood :/

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Feel frree to offer us a means by which a wiring fault could blow both filament and cfl bulbs prematurely. On a single phase install, there isnt one.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've had the same, in an old computer installation. The Neutral of a 3-phase supply had gone high impedance so any time the phases got heavily unbalanced, the neutral in the computer room would "rotate" with the 3-phase resulting in a higher than normal voltage across the Phases-Netural whilst the Phase-Phase was OK. Metering under low-load also gave Phase-Neutral OK. The 3-phase delta stuff was fine but the poor computers on Phase-Neutral just died. Intermittent it was too...

Reply to
John Weston

I accept its unliekly then, but still possible. If you put a mark on the base of the communal bulbs, and collected all the dead ones, you cuold at least confirm whether imitating famous circuses was a popular pastime in some cultures. You never know.

but see above where you agree it cant be those. Electronics is far more vulnerable than filaments to transients, and theyre not a significant problem on domestic premises anyway.

thats really the only thing that may be killing them, if it rises to

270v at 4am or something.

fair point. Still its hard to see how one pahse would get 240 and another much more. If there were a neutral problem on the supply side you'd expect it to show up here there and everywhere, and at peak times not out of hours. 1/3 of the tenants would be complaining about dead bulbs.

But if youve got elevated Vs, so has someone else. It would be a chaotic wiring system that puts only one persons lights on one of the phases.

Whatever the deal is, I think we could all agree you need some hard facts re supply voltage. Hopefully you can log the voltage at the light fittings.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yes, I think that's the only way forward. I'll log the voltage at the fitting.

I'll also set up a datalogger if I can on all 3 Phase-N and Phase- Phase and see what I can see.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

On 21 Jun 2006 08:46:27 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote this:-

Provided that there are suitable warning notices there is no problem.

However, when designing an electrical installation it is a lot neater if lots of electrical bits and pieces are not covered with warning notices. Depending on the building shape and expected loads floors will probably be split into three areas, with the same phase in each area for all circuits.

Reply to
David Hansen

Electrickery isn't really my thing but in cars when bulbs start blowing the first thing you check is the condition of the earth connections. Dunno if this also applies to AC installations but someone on here will. If so then that's what I'd be looking at.

Reply to
Dave Baker

one thought - is it heavy-footed people upstairs. Friend of mine had some fat bird that lived above him and her stomping shook the fitting below and blew the bulbs fairly regularly. She moved out - problem solved

Reply to
DMac

Rough service bulbs would solve or eliminate that, and are available from screwfix and the like.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "DMac" saying something like:

Dear Madam,

Please find enclosed the bill for replacement light bulbs for the past year. These replacements were necessary because you are such a fat git.

Yours, etc

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon