Light Bulbs Blowing

I'm having problems with the lights in a fitting (3 bulbs per fitting) which keep blowing the bulbs. I'm using low energy Homebase bulbs and the last set only lasted about 2 weeks. Is it my wiring/voltage or are they normally this bad?

My house is not near the Elect. board supply transformer or any large factories but is in residential part of Watford. Any ideas where I go next?

Thanks

Si

(Change news to views to email)

Reply to
Mitch

Low energy, ie CFL? Is the fitting enclosed, or is there adequate ventilation for the bulbs?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THATS THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When you say low energy, what exactly do you mean? Are they mains voltage halogens? If so, they are very susceptible to vibration. Is the light fitting mounted on the ceiling with heavy traffic above it?

A neighbour of ours had four in their kitchen ceiling which would blow everytime one of their kids jumped out of bed in the room above...

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

If theyre cfl you got a bad batch, take em all back. If mains halogen, you did ask for it.

meow2222

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

I have a 3 horizontal bulb enclosed fitting currently using CFLs as the main light in my living room. It is on a great deal as I only have small windows and, being retired, am at home more than most. I wouldn't be at all surprised if I clocked up 2000 - 3000 hours a year with that fitting.

The oldest bulb failed earlier this year. A 13W B & Q one which was fitted on 21/9/03 so that one more than paid its way, particularly as

60W incandescents were going at the rate of one every few weeks prior to switching to CFLs. It was replaced by an 11W Phillips one. 6 years in bold on the outside of the pack, 3 hours per day in the small print on the inside. 2 - 3 years at my rate of usage but as it came free with an information pack I won't be able to sue if it doesn't live up to expectations.
Reply to
Roger