Levelling a base for a shed

We are getting ready to erect a shed at the back of the garden but we are on a slight slope. Unfortunately the ground is very clayey and jam packed with old bricks/stone/tiles etc. and it proving a right bugger to get level. I am not far out at the moment, about 1-1.5 inches height diff between front and back (8ft) - it is level across the 6ft width of the shed. I am intending on putting some 2'x2' paving flags down (3 down each side - thats right isnt it, so the shed overhangs the flags a bit?) - can I make up that much height difference with a mortar bed when I set the flags in their final positions? (any mortar mix recommendations welcome for this too :o)

Also, is a polythene sheet recommended under the shed to help keep the damp away - and if so, would that be underneath or on top of the paving flags?

cheers

Dave.

I've always found it easier to set a shed on to a bed of sand with flag stones laid on it. Once you get the sand perfectly level and compressed down, then lay the flags on top of this level base, the shed just sits perfectly on the top.

Don't put anything under the shed that is going to retain water as any moisture lying under the shed will eventually cause rot or fungal growth. You should allow all the water to drain away as quickly as possible and a base of flag stones on sand does this perfectly.

Reply to
BigWallop

OK, so assuming I went for just sand rather than mortar, would that be sharp sand?

a wrote to uk.d-i-y:

Plain builders sand that can be compressed tightly is best, or a dry mix of

8 shovels of sand to one shovel of cement is a good mix for this type of base. It needs to be bonded enough to stay in place but not to tightly packed that it allows water to sit on top of it and create puddles. The main thing is the drainage aspect because the last thing you want is water lying under the shed and going sour.
Reply to
BigWallop

Dig down to the hard and lay foundations. The shed will have a long life then.

In article , a writes