Letting a house and PAT testing

If a property is let, do any portable electrical appliances supplied by the landlord need to be PAT tested? I assume appliances such as washing machines, driers and fridge/freezers are not classed as portable.

TIA

ISTR that local authorities were given the power to insist on this if they wanted to, but I can't recall the details. Might only be for HMO's.

The proper name for this testing does not include the word "portable" at all -- "In-service Inspection and Testing" -- so it includes all the appliances you listed.

If you like, think of "portable" as referring to the test tool, which should be taken to each appliance to be tested, rather than the appliances moved out of their normal operating environment. (Part of the inspection is that the appliance is suitable for use in the environment where it's normally used, which can only be assessed if it's inspected in it's normal operating location.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not sure about the HMO bit, but it's not mandatory for non-HMOs, ie ordinary properties let as a single unit. Nevertheless it's regarded as being a very Good Idea to do it, as landlords are wholly responsible for the electrical safety of their tenants and getting the necessary paperwork is a good way of back-covering if nothing else.

Last time I had some PAT testing done, the criterion used by sparks who did it was whether it the appliances was connected to the mains via a

13A plug rather than permanantly wired in with a fused connection unit.

- ie, the idea being that if an appliance isn't being moved around and being continually being unplugged, it's not at the same level of vulnerability. So under that rule he checked the flame-effect fire, built-in oven, built-under fridge, and cooker hood, but not the electric hob or bathroom extractor fan.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks Andrew, David. Exactly what I wanted to know.

Also applies to fixed appliances, ie those that are permanently connected to the mains. So should apply to electric showers, extract fans etc etc.

The time period between tests is variable dependant on its location, and if its class 1 or 2 etc etc. But this period can be changed by the 'competent person'.

Obviously an extract fan could be on say 5 years, as its in the ceiling, but an electric shower could be 1 year.

Reply to
ukagent