lengthening a bathtap stem?

Hello, I'm getting someone to change the taps on a cast iron 1930s bath, from a mixer set with shower facility monstrosity to just a simple pair of bib taps, which I think is the term for taps with a horizontal water feed.

They need to go into existing vertical holes in the back of the bath. The back of the bath is flat in the vicinity of these holes and between them, possibly unlike in many more modern baths.

I'm not looking to spend loads of money.

I bought a pair of likely looking taps, but the plumber says he can't fit them because the stem is only 15mm (they are made to go into a wall) rather than the 40mm required.

How easy is it to lengthen the stem by adding a bit of pipe onto it and cutting the right thread? Is there any chance of my finding a plumber who has the equipment and knowledge to do this, or is that basically not what plumbing is all about nowadays? :-)

If that can't be done, does someone know where I might find the sort of taps I'm looking for. Any normal-looking taps with a horizontal feed and

40mm stems, capable of being fitted to the bath, will be fine.

Thanks in advance!

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

I think I now the sort of taps you mean. You could have the old ones re-chromed. Check them out first for wear but they will probably be OK. They look good if re-chromed.

Your plumber is a tosser. Modern taps could be fitted using an appropiate brass reducing bush and locknut.

wont look too pretty though

Reply to
harry

if the holes in the bath are oversized, he means you can't use 15mm fittings and that you need wider ones...it's not lengthening, it's widening

mixer taps are 40mm, and this is what you've just taken out

Reply to
Phil L

"Phil L" wrote in news:zdhhs.41698$ snipped-for-privacy@fx19.am:

He said lengthening. (I'm only repeating what he said.)

I don't understand what you're saying here. I want to have two separate taps with no mixer, and haven't yet taken the existing fitting out.

Thanks!

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

The holes in your bath are 40mm in diameter. You can't put a 15mm fitting in or it will have a 12.5mm gap all around it. Making the 15mm diameter fitting longer won't solve anything as it will still be 15mm diameter going into a 40mm hole. The only taps that will fit a 40mm hole are mixer taps, so you either have mixer taps or change your bath

Reply to
Phil L

"Phil L" wrote in news:pwzhs.10763$ snipped-for-privacy@fx27.am:

The holes have metal annuli on top. (Also it is a 1930s bath, so the sizes will not be metric.)

Why could a bush not be used, fastened on both sides? I don't mind if the taps stick out a bit from the bath. (What they're replacing sticks out miles!)

Some 1930s baths had globe taps; others, mixer taps. I think we may be talking at cross purposes.

Thanks for your advice on this!

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

Can you take a picture of the existing taps and put it online for us to see? Then we'll know what you're talking about..

Reply to
AlanD

AlanD wrote in news:c9690$508848bb$52130f1c$ snipped-for-privacy@usenext.xennanews.com:

Hi Phil,

good idea.

Here is the existing tap fitting:

I would like to replace that monstrosity with either of the following pairs of taps, with no mixer or shower facility:

or

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

Hi, have you already removed the shower mixer taps? only I have a cast iron bath with globe taps fitted to the wall of the bath and am keen to fit a shower/tap but cannot get one that fits on the wall....only on the top. If you are interested in doing a swap? mine are standard chrome...probably early 1900s?

Reply to
chriscara

chriscara wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@diybanter.com:

Hi Chris,

I would have been interested, but it's all been sorted out here now. After a succession of plumbers said it was impossible, in some cases recommending that we get a new bath, we found one guy able and willing to fit the globe taps. He did a good job, although it took him a whole day and so wasn't exactly cheap!

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

But how did he do it? HOW???