LED street lighting

In article , Evan Williams writes

I see you're posting from the other side of the pond. You might be aware that products imported into Europe have to bear the "CE" mark:

's supposed to be a sign that the merchandise has passed certain safety and quality tests, but is generally applied by the Chinese to just about everything, and it's doubtful whether the testing is actually carried out.

For that reason, it's now known to stand for "Crapness Ensured" :-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I'll believe that when I see it.

And other makes come from where?

This would be your 'professional' company?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Absolutely, a friend of mine has recently had a kitchen/diner extension built, the whole area is lit by ceiling recessed dimmable LEDs (I'd guess 20-24 of them)

When I walked in, I felt like I was in some sort of disco, when below

50% brightness, the whole lot strobed like crazy, he couldn't see what I was complaining about ...
Reply to
Andy Burns

That would be horrible for me - I'm quite flicker-sensitive. But that doesn't mean don't use LEDs, it just means don't use LEDs with cheapo- crappo low-frequency control electronics.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

I wish they wouldn't put such cheap electronics on car tail lights. Though I suppose the owner is never bothered by them.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

And me. I find them highly distracting.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

Since I wrote that, one of the ones in the road has completely packed up - nothing at all from it, sigh. As someone else commented, because there's no spill overlapping the light outputs, there's now one pitch black area of the road. One LED pointing in that direction from the next lantern along is also dead.

Whilst out walking to the take-away, I paid more attention than usual, and lots of the lanterns are faulty, and these are all under

2 years old. One that had been dead ~6 months ago is now working though, so there's been some repair work on top of the number which are now faulty.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Aye, though they have improved in the last year or so.

What I don't like about LED lights at night is the fact they turn on and off so damn quick. You get dazzled when they come on and plunged into darkness when they go off. The good ol' filament bulb takes while to heat up and glow and while to cool taking the edge off the transition.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice