LED - Starry Ceiling

I have just completed installation of a Hot Tub. It is on a roofed over decking area ..... I would like to fit some form of light array to simulate a twinkling sky . or even colour change.

I have seen single light source with Fibre Optic clusters ..... that seems safe solution as light not power over the Hot Tub. Don't mean this specific product but something like this:

The roof would provide cover of the unit, but due to humidity going to need something that is IP63 or better.

Anybody know of suitable units/suppliers?

Reply to
rick

What about just using the roof as a screen and projecting onto it using this:

Many other low-voltage projectors are available.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Not quite sure what the point of it is. If you want real sky, then you would either need to move to a place where clear skies are the norm, or put a gynormous display on the ceiling and feed it from a video source of some kind, unless you fancy building yourself a planetarium. I believe you can get portable ones now that they can set up in a school playground. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Look at this

Chris Hogg

No an option ..... as projector would need to be near hot tub to project up ..... don't wantt leccy near tub.

Reply to
rick

The point is to have some 'interesting' light under the roof, rather than just look at rafters.

I didn't want to site Hot Tub elsewhere, this roofed over section is perfect location. (for us)

Just want something to provide some interest, will probably install some LED spots as well for when light 'level' is needed.

Reply to
rick

Thanks .. looks good for a kids room, but can't put a projector there, looking for something to be fixed above and illuminate down.

Reply to
rick

Outdoor fairy lights? Pretty well designed for this job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Don't fancy having any electric above my head in a hot Tub ... think it too risky with Heat and Humidity .... we will fit them along the 10m of Pergola running up to decking.

Looks like a possible solution at

rick

Found a company that does all the parts for DIY ... their web site even has DIY videos Product range is wide -

Have asked for help on what would suit best. Think 200-250 fibre on a a 2m x 2m panel

Reply to
rick

Outdoor LED fairly lights are low voltage.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Individual white LEDs typically draw 10-20 milliAmpa at 2.5-4.0 Volts, RGBs maybe three times that at 5 Volts, just make sure the PSU is properly isolated. You could run them from a battery to be really sure that they're isolated.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I've a few green and yellow high efficiency LEDS running at around 300uA and they can be easily seen from 10+ metres away in medium to low light (dusk) conditions.

I also have the same type of LEDs (2 OFF) running at a lower current continuously from 4 off AAA size alkaline batteries for a period of around 3 months.

Reply to
alan_m

Yellow and green are generally more efficient but don't really make me think of twinkling stars.

I found an LED thing on our driveway, it ran for weeks (no obvious way to turn it off) and didn't have room for half an AAA.I don't know where it went, or I'd have pulled it apart to see what it was.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I have some LED lamps of te GU50 persuasion running off fully insulated

12v toroidals

A 12V system is not hard for a D-I-Yer to arrange. With batteries even for the times of grid failure

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher