LED spotlight bulbs

Have you seen the confused customers at the Lamp Display in any supermarket?

Reply to
John

The old Angel Hotel in Ilford was closed and sold off in the late 70s/early 80s

It was replaced by a new pub built on the site of the former stable block at the rear and, the first time I visited, I was surprised to find gas lights on the front of the bar. They were fairly low so not where you would choose to wait in hot weather!

One day I was waitng to be served and a lad in his 20s was waiting next to me - underneath the gas lamp.

Presumably the hissing (and the heat) attracted his attention because I was vaguely aware of him studying it. Then, without warning, his hand shot up and he grabbed the white hot mantle between his thumb and forefinger!

The mantle instantly ceased to exist and his hand flew to his mouth where he started furiously sucking his incinerated digits!

"Have you never seen a gas lamp before?" I asked. A rapid shaking of the head followed then a hasty "No" between sucks.

Reply to
Terry Casey

One pub round here still has them in use

Andy Burns

For all I know, the 'new' Angel still uses then but I haven't been in it since it was turned into a mock Irish pub and renamed O'Neill's many years ago.

I no longer live in the area so won't be popping in to take a look!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Yes it's just a matter of getting hold of GU10 lamp holders that will fit inside the lamp. Often the GU10 holders are domed and a bit taller.

These are smaller than the TS ones if you have problems

Once you have found one that fits you are sorted.

Another option to the replacing the JB is just to use the black choc box on the actual fitting and join the GU10 lamp holder to the 230V transformer fly lead (yes just chop off the transformer).

Reply to
ARW

Oddly enough I always try and avoid that aisle when wearing my work clothes (same applies to any DIY store).

Once they spot the company name on the T shirt and know what I do for a living they close in on me like zombies wanting free advice.....

Actually I am pretty good at the wholesalers, DIY stores and supermarkets if a member of the public starts asking questions (unless they are Irish as you know it's a diversion whilst their mate goes and looks for a van in the car park with the same company name on it as my T shirt)

Reply to
ARW

ROTFL.

Thanks for that one Terry.

Reply to
ARW

I always wear a white coat and a name badge 'Dr Smith, Gynecologist'.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright