LED lighting

There is no nice tidy answer. The saving varies depending on whether you buy the expensive guaranteed leds from operations like ledhut or the cheapest stuff from aliexpress and alibaba.

Reply to
grjw

On 03/12/2016 16:28, Dave Plowman (News) wrote: house with metering for light only

CFL is the devils spunk.

Reply to
ARW

Now LEDs are cheap and readily available, is there any point to CFLs?

(I see the cheap LAP ones I got from Screwfix are now a year old. _So_ much better than the CFLs dotted around the house).

Reply to
Clive George

Probably depends upon the Council. My local County Council has recently carried out a huge programme of updating the street lights to LEDs. All but a few minor residential streets, where lights were mounted upon existing overhead power poles, got new light columns at new spacings.

Reply to
Nightjar

In my case, I would guess about £250 / year saving.

I tried many CFLs over the years, and only managed to find one or two that were at best adequate. Most (especially the early ones) had such poor colour rendition they seemed to make any room cold and unnatural looking with a green tinge thrown in for good measure. Its odd, because I find the light from linear tri-phospher florries quite acceptable.

I retired all the CFLs as soon as I found decent LEDs!

One of the things that killed the CFL market was the overstated light output equivalence figures that were banded about.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Well you asked the dumb question in the first place.

Reply to
bert

When I moved in four months ago every lamp in this house was CFL, the previous owners had even filled them in place of the reflector spots in the kitchen. All replaced with LED, a much better light. The CFL went to the dump.

Reply to
DJC

No. I can't imagine anyone's making them any more. I was in B&Q last weekend (*) and they only sell one line of CFL, and the bloke filling shelves admitted that once they were gone, that was it. Everything else is LED.

(* There's nowhere else better for drawer knobs.)

Reply to
Huge

I was asking about energy savings - not the costs of the lamps.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Interesting, John. You're the only one who has put a figure on it. Since so many on here are very keen on any sort of energy saving lights, I thought they'd all have some figures to hand.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So your guess is about £250 a year?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No real point when the saving is obviously substantial.

But what matters is how the saving compares with the cost of the replacement lights.

Reply to
grjw

I have no idea, but I do know that some LED lights can upset some animals, so one has to remember that not all animals have the same persistance of vision as we do. I think any strobe effects in lighting are to be avoided if used in safety critical situations.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I asked for an average figure, Wodney. Substantial to the likes of you could be 5 quid a year.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its not always straight forward to calculate the savings to be fair. In my case I have a spreadsheet of all the meter readings over the years[1], and have also annotated it in places with notable events (like the boiler swap, or when LED lamps started being used). So in the case of electricity use, I can see about 5 kWh reduction in the running daily average. Not all of that will be lighting, but a fair amount will be.

[1] and it includes calculations to work out the average current, and average consumption per day since the last reading etc.
Reply to
John Rumm

Since you exclude the cost of the actual LEDs, don't tell us how many hours/year they are lit, how many rooms are occupied for how long, etc, the easy answer is to say they'd save at least 85% of what the spend on powering the tungsten lamps ... assuming no change in behaviour.

Reply to
Andy Burns

My LED lamps total about 120W; CFLs were about twice that and OK when warmed up; incandescent, based on a guestmate, about 600W. TV is 37 - 40W on a 50" LED-lit panel.

Reply to
PeterC

Doesn?t matter what you asked for, what matters is what makes sense.

There is no point in figures when leds clearly save a very large chunk of the power used to produce a particular level of light and you have more than a couple of those you use much at all as almost everyone does.

Reply to
grjw

As I said earlier, an average family living in an average house. Advertisers seem to be able to claim savings etc without question, so such figures must be available.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are you retarded or what? You also said earlier, "I saw a figure quoted the other day."

Reply to
Richard