LED light bulbs

On 03/04/2015 12:33, News wrote:

As a (very) rough example lets assume you pay 12p per KWh and run the lamp for 4 hours per day.
A 75 watt tungsten bulb would cost 4 * 0.075 * 12 = 3.6 pence per day. A 13 watt LED would cost 3.6 * 13 / 75 = 0.624 pence per day. So that's a saving of 2.976 pence per day. The payback period for £12.65 would be 12.65 * 100 / 2.976 = 425 days or about 14 months. After that you'll be saving about £10.80 per year for as long as the bulb lasts - which will almost certainly be less than the 20 years that some suppliers claim,
--
Mike Clarke

On 03/04/15 09:13, News wrote:

Stay off ebay.
With tungsten, you had two choices for any given form factor/power: good quality and likely to blow early.
LEDs are a minefield. You can get:
a) Shite light output;
b) Bad colour temperature and.or CRI;
c) Works/not works with your dimmer if any;
d) Crap life;
e) Blows up (as in goes up in smoke).
This is why I stay away from non name crap.
Now: IME,
Avoid Crompton - they die early;
Philips are bloody good in all respects, except they are expensive. But they do a very high output BC/ES bulb which can be useful in niche cases.
TCP (an actual brand, but sold a lot by Homebase) seem OK - but I had one that did not like being dimmed.
LEDHut (as many here will recommend) - I have 4 R63 spot lamps and they are brilliant. Twice as bright (subjectively) as the incandescants they replaced. Slight lag when starting, but that's OK, it's about 1 second.
Had a couple of ES GLS bulbs from them too - seem good.
One of the R63's came duff, but they sent out a new one without fuss straight away so I say their guarantee is actually worth something. I did not have to faff sending the old one back.
And LEDHut have a long guarantee.

I no longer know who is making what.
Cromptom had a factory in Doncaster. Then all of a sudden the factory changed its name to Cooper Menervier and now it says Eaton - and Eaton are the old MEM.
--
Adam

On 03/04/15 16:53, ARW wrote:

I suspect their LEDs are a badge job. It wasn't just one - I had at two and both died in short order - one in less than a year. I forgot who I bought it from.
I was suspicious of LEDhut as they only sell their own brand, but I have to say, I am quite impressed so far.
On 03/04/15 16:53, ARW wrote:
Question -
When fitting LED friendly trailing edge dimmers, do you have a favourite make Adam?
Tim Watts wrote:

I tried the MK "LED specific" dimmer, with some LEDHUT dimmable GU10s,
it flickered while being turned up/down it buzzed too much for my liking it sometimes went into "shutdown" mode
It was OK if the LEDs were swapped back for the halogen GU10s, so I ended-up sending it back to Amazon.
Later, I tried the Varilight LED Grid dimmer, with an MK grid plate/yoke and it is silent and dims smoothly, you can put it into a programming mode by twiddling its knob in a certain pattern, to enable leading/trailing mode and smooth start if it somehow detects the wrong type of lamp, would buy again ...
<https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLGJP400MK.html
On 03/04/15 20:28, Andy Burns wrote:

Programmable - interesting - I did not know the Varilight was adaptable.
On 03/04/15 21:42, Tim Watts wrote:

And thank you -
It seems the magic word is "V-Pro" and they are also available in touch/IR remote control which is actually quite cool in the given application.
On 03/04/2015 09:13, News wrote:

You can get some colour changing LED bulbs in that fitting, he may like them as he can change the colour and/or brightness to fit his mood.
For plain LEDs I have used Ikea and Lidl and they are OK, but make sure there is plenty of ventilation in the fitting and shade because LEDs do not like it hot.
On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 09:13:44 +0100, News wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened) 3W, 320lm, 4100K, E14 with 5-year guarantee.
(Amazon.com product link shortened) 6W, 600lm, 4100K, E27
I've 2 rooms of 12' square where each has 3 of the latter lamps in shades that are highly tranluscent - bit bright but I can now see what I'm doing.
Intending to put 2 luminaires of 3 lamps each of the 3W lamps in the kitchen, when I find the fittings I wasnt.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
News wrote:

I hadn't noticed these before, they win the prize for least LED looking LED
<https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTGLS7BC.html