LED life.

Have an old audio amp that came with a standard 5mm red LED as a mains on indicator. Fed from one of the 50v rails.

Changed it to a blue opaque type. Just because I prefer the colour. Calculated a new series resistor to 5mA, but it was still far too bright. So just fiddled with it to get it down to an acceptable level.

The LED has failed after a few months use. Fitted a new one. Had bought a packet of 20 from Ebay.

Does it shorten the life of LEDs running them at very low current? Or did I just get poor LEDs for that low cost on Ebay?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you're buying LEDs from ebay, they're probably no-name Chinese. I have no idea what the quality control on those might be like.

It shouldn't be a problem to run LEDs at low current - unlike 1970s LEDs, most of the current ones are insanely bright if you run them at the rated maximum current, so indicators are frequently under-run.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I am pretty sure that it is only high currents that destroy them and you can go as low as you like.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

no.

You might have got rejects or 2nds.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If it is behind an indicator window, can you wire up (say) three in parallel to become failure tolerant?

Reply to
newshound

What I thought. Although given the very low cost and it not being a critical use, I'll put up with it. Assuming it just to be a rogue one.

I do remember buying some early 'white' ones - when they were pricey - to light a meter, where the original tungsten has a short life. Due to being on for very long periods. And they didn't last well either. More expensive replacements from a reputable source were OK.

Thanks Theo - what I guessed. Just wanted it confirmed.

I recently bought an HDMI four in two out switcher unit with remote control. The LEDs on that are so bright as to be distracting - as it's placed below the screen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is a single one poking out of the fascia. Hence using a diffused type.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is the rail regulated? I've not played with the blue/ white ones but are there not two types, one that is indeed blue and another that somehow uses aa uv to make a tiny screen glow? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No I don't think I've ever had any led file when underrun, unless it was run from a very spiky voltage of some kind. I used to love those high brightness red ones you got very cheap in the old tandy stores. With my failing sight at the time they were great. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On 29/03/2019 14:06, Dave Plowman (News) wrote: snip

Had a similar problem with a wireless charger - you could quite happily read by the light it gave out.

Used a couple of layers of electrical tape over it in the end. I see some enterprising souls are selling 'LED dimming tape' precut to size (that is, small circles). Peak capitalism :-)

Reply to
RJH

The quality control is that cheap Chinese components have already failed real quality testing. Before eBay they would have become landfill.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Usually you can stick another 1 or more behind it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No point. It's only a ten minute job to fit a new one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

and a 10 minute 10 second job to fit 2

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Are you saying one diffused type squirting through another would look just the same? Zero transmission losses? Or would I have to experiment with resistor values and drive it harder to get the same effect? Good luck in doing all that in 10 seconds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

LED packs don't cause significant losses at he emitting frequencies. It'd be pretty silly if they did.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've used black nail varnish in the past.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I use Blu-Tack (I have a very bright blue LED on the 8 port KVM in the office).

The advantage is that you can 'tune' it by making the layer thicker or thinner.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Now answer my point. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I guess so, but with nail varnish you can also get it in other colours, including glitter :-). and you get the nice smell ;-) But I also have blue, white and pink blu-tak , so in keeping with LGBTQ I have girl, boy and gender neutral blu-tak.

I also have low noise parcel tape, and some pink masking tape. I just wish I could find some cheap leopard/tiger print versions.

Reply to
whisky-dave