Leaky roof

Went up the loft to find that a lot of stuff was going mouldy. In a couple of placed there are nails coming through the lining and these do have water on them, although when it rained a lot recently there ws beaded water all over the inside, not just by the nails.

Also the roof is covered in moss and really needs a good clean.

A roof report we had done in the summer when it was nice and hot and dry everywhere said there were no problems and the roof was in a good state.

Can anyone offer advice at steps to take?

Reply to
RichGK

Is the roof well ventilated? If not it is probably condensation. Water should not normally get below the tiles, the felt is a second defence line. Perhaps seal the holes where the nails are, and investigate soffit ventillation.

Moss shouldn't be a problem, you don't normally walk on the roof. Just leave it.

Reply to
<me9

If the roof report was correct, and the roof is definitely not leaking, the only other explanation is that you have a condensation problem due to poor ventilation in the loft. The current cold wet weather will make this worse.We need a bit more info, such as is it gable end with air bricks, if so, are these clear, and are there any ventilation points in the soffits? Does it seem draughty in the loft? If this is a recent problem then that could point to ventilation being OK and you now have a leaking roof.

Reply to
DIY

Yes sounds like condensation to me - even probably where the nails are (they would act as a focus for condensed water dripping down the roof)

David

Reply to
Lobster

the roof is definitely not leaking, the

We moved into the property last August so I'm not sure about whether its recent or not. However there is a carpet in the loft and it smelt a bit old and with hindsight it has a smell that you could attribute to having been damp in the past.

The loft does have a slight draught however I can't see any actual air bricks in the construction.

The damp was worse on the really cold days where it also rained and it did look like all over the inside condensation rather than more localised leaks.

Do tiles (as opposed to slates) allow more cold through so are more susseptable to condensation?

Also to the person that suggests I leave the moss - thanks! It's one less thing to worry about :-)

Reply to
RichGK