Leaky Pond?

Hello,

Just moved into a new house with a rather large pond. It is (roughly) 6' x

30' long. The water level is lowish and is getting lower, probably more than just evaporation (which I guess would be a rasonable amount with that much area?). It has a lining but I guess that it must be broken in some place. How would I go about finding the leak, short of looking over every square inch, I can't imagine how to do it.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

At 30 feet by 6 feet you don't look for leaks in the liner, you just buy another liner and put it in. It'll be autumn soon and the rainy weather will fill it up for you again, so do the work now and wait a little while for the weather to change. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

The leak will be at the water line you have - so check around the water line and you may find it.

If it is getting lower - ie. not down to the level of the leak, guess you're stuck!

Reply to
Colin freeserve

I have two intelinked ponds and a waterfall feature. The WF is about 8 to

10 feet in overall length, one pond is about 15ft x 3 to 4ft, and the main pond is about 15ft in diameter. I reckon the main pond, which is the lowest point of the system, loses upto a couple of inches a week, but very much depending on the amount of sun and more especially wind direction. I'm pretty sure there aren't any leaks in it, so you may just be losing water naturally.
Reply to
Wanderer

You wouldn't be in Milton Keynes by any chance? A new spring has started in my garden in the last few weeks, and finding the source is proving difficult. (... and it's not from my metered mains supply.)

-- M Stewart Milton Keynes, UK

Malcolm Stewart

Reply to
Mr Ben