leaking rad.

I re-fitted a radiator at the weekend after doing some tiling and one of the joints is now leaking.

I've tried several times to stop this by using PTFE tape but this doesn't do the trick.

Is there anything else I can use ?

TIA

Stan

Reply to
stan

Where is it leaking from?

Reply to
>{daZza

How many winds of the ptfe are you giving the joint

Reply to
Alex

Its leaking at either the joint between the rad and shotoff valve of where the valve is connected to the inlet pipe, can't tell exactly which one as the the leak is too great.

I'm using about 1-1 1/2 winds on the pipe.

I thought there was some sort of paste you could use instead of tape, but maybe I'm just wrong about this ?

Stan

Reply to
stan

You want to use a lot more than one and a half winds!

Try about 10 - PTFE Tape is very very thin!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

That one should be a metal-on-metal joint which doesn't need sealant, a bit like a ball and socket joint with a hole through it. Has either of the mating surfaces had a "ding"?

Again, that should have an "olive" in it and need no extra sealing. If you've over-tightened it, the olive might be damaged and need replacement (together with a short section of pipe).

You could try using more tape, 1 1/2 turns is nothing, build up a good thickness and try again.

Well, there is, but I don't think it'll help with this!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Unless it's the gas stuff (yellow rather than white box)...

The joint between the radiator an tail needs a good layer along the full length of the threads wound in the right direction so that the action of screwing it into the rad doesn't unwind the tape. It also needs to be tight you need the square drive tool unless you want to risk mangling the end in pliers mole grips.

The joint from tail to valve is metal on metal and should not require any tape or gloop. Check for any damage and replace as required.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I agree you need at least ten winds ,and in the right direction anti clockwise so that it does not unwind doing it up

Reply to
Alex

In article , stan writes

If it's the threads you are wanting to seal then there are gel type sealants that are available in a tube, easy to use and pretty much foolproof. Search or ask a plumbers' merchant for thread sealant:

?ts=84143&id=12693 5quid or
8quid

Reply to
fred

these things are pretty nifty

markybay

Sounds like a magic incantation to me:

Bora Foehn Levanto Maestro Mistral Sirocco Zephyros Ostria Harmattan Diablo

Reply to
DJC