Leaking Hot Water Cylinder

My open vented indirect hot water cylinder has developed a slight leak around the top pipe connected to the coil heat exchanger. See here for a picture:

presuming this will get progressively worse. Is this something that can be repaired or will it be time for a new cylinder soon.

Reply to
Jeff Allen

You simply need to remake that joint. You don't even need to fully drain down, just the coil. You should be able to shut off its feed from the header tank, and if you're lucky there will be a drain c*ck somewhere.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks for the advice but it's actually leaking around the coupling that's integral to the cylinder, i.e. the bit that comes pre-fitted to cylinder rather rather than compression joint.

Reply to
Jeff Allen

Normally if the cylinder is on the way out - copper has corroded through around the fitting, you would expect the leak to be at that location. Somebody else had that problem this past week and needed a quick and temporary fix until the cylinder was going to be replaced anyway.

The photo isn't completely clear, but in the position that you have the arrow, it looks as though it is a place where the male threaded end of the compression fitting.

Really there are two choices.

- Take the connections apart as Grunff has suggested. If the leak is around the threads of the fitting, it should be possible to reseal it with PTFE tape or hemp and Boss Green.

- Replace the cylinder. Perhaps the best approach would be to identify a source of a replacement cylinder, attempt the repair and then if that proves not to be possible, replace the cylinder

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes, I can see that. I didn't mean remake the compression joint (which you'll have to do anyway). I meant undo the flange fitting, clean up, apply sealant, redo.

Reply to
Grunff

I had a similar problem where on mine the flow and return pipes in to the cylinder were leaking .I had to undo the connection and got rid of the crud with a wire brush then do it up again using tape and also some heat resistant silicone I got from Screwfix .Hasn't failed yet and that was about 2 years ago .

Stuart

New cylinder is the best bet here. Best re-assess your hot water system while at it. Look at a Rinnai high flow multi-point water heater - it will give two high pressure showers, get rid of the cylinder and tanks too. The business.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A 30 minute plumbing job to fit a new tank or endless expense to get a shanty town water heater and a shower that rips the skin off and flushes it down the drain.

The Japs fitted Rinnai's years ago. Now they are buying storage systems with copper cylinders and header tanks like there was no tomorrow.

Multipoints and combi are dead. Storage is the future.

Reply to
Matt

Lord Hall, he has to assess his requirement and what he would gain. Lots of space, supberb performance etc.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel