Laser printer transfer drum

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@demeter.uk.clara.net:

I run multiple HP LJ 6P printers. They date from approx 1997, and are still going strong in a home office system. BTW, the P stands for Personal IIRC, and they don't have a high ppm rate. Is it 8ppm max?

Anyway, cheap to buy (approx GBP 20 on eBay) and cheap to run (toner cartridges for around GBP 10-15). Rock solid, and highly recommended.

I also have HP LJ4+ and 5M (Postscript) devices. They have a higher thoughput, and again are rock solid. The 5M is nice as it comes with inbuilt Ethernet, but since it's possible with GhostScript to print a PS document to just about any device, it's somewhat underused...

Reply to
Richard Perkin

The oldest mention of "laserjet 6p" on DejaGoogle appears to be 10th October 1996.

Reply to
Andy Burns

of page 15, now when did you say you moved house?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sorry for answering my own post, but there have been so many very good answers on this subject, I hope to cover them all.

The Panasonic is quite an old printer and as some have pointed out, throw it and buy a new one. I now have two of them, both full of toner and with faulty transfer drums. I'll get to the local tip early in the morning with both of them. Many thanks for the advice on this.

I bought my wife an HP 1010 and that works fine for what she uses it for. I bought our daughter an HP 1018 and that works fine for her. I bought myself an HP 2550 colour laser printer that had well over £200 worth (HP's valuation here) of full toner carts in it and I only paid £150 :-) I am well pleased with it.

I have, under my computer desk, an old HP 5L that only needs the paper feed roller changing when I can find a roundtuit :-) Looks like HP have taken over this house for computers and peripherals :-)

The only pieces of kit are not HP are my Epsom photo printer and my home built computer case.

Once again, many thanks to all the posters to this question.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I have one of those plotters!

Reply to
Bob Eager

But a replacement toner cartridge often contains 2-3 times more toner than a new printer. They skimp on toner to sell the printer more cheaply.

Reply to
<me9

Unless you want a reliable printer that doesn't need to be plugged into a Windows box to work at all.

(I've still got a couple of LJIIIs at home, and I'm not getting rid of them)

Reply to
Andy Dingley