Large black Beetles

Maybe you could make friends with them - would that cheer you up?

You didn't answer my question about neighbours.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Dear Dear. Does Mary's perfect little life bother you that much? All I see her asking are perfectly reasonable questions of the OP (annoyedtuna), to find out more information from them. Mary, or anyone else in the group for that matter, can't help with only half the facts, so some questions have to be asked.

I have a problem with my DuckDo, what would you suggest I do about it John?

Reply to
BigWallop

Make you itchy at a distance of 10 feet ???

Crunch under foot ???

Get into your smalls ???

etc etc

Alex

Reply to
AlexW

I've never heard it called that before. Have you asked your doctor for some ointment?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Gosh, what a conniption. Calm down before your head explodes.

Did it ever occur to you that he just wanted to make sure that they weren't eating his house?

Reply to
Rob Morley

They can infest food cupboard and things Mary. They don't just walk you know. They can breed fast and over-run food stores, and they don't just eat meal and cereals.

They are mostly come and go sort of creature though, and when the food supply dries up they move on to greener pastures, so to speak. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Oh, poor baby!

Don't tread on 'em.

Huh?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I've never, ever seen a black beetle in our food stores. We get mites in older starchy stuff, they're easy to sieve out.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah! Now I CAN help you with your DuckDo.

What's your problem?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I meant weevils, not mites.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hear, hear!

Reply to
Bob Eager

You know, 'ants in yer pants' and all that. Same principle just doesn't rhyme!

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

Black beetles aren't ants ... in my experience black beetles run away from humans.

My hens can catch them though!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Its just the principle. I have had a beetle, an earwig and spiders (not together BTW) stuck in in items of clothing before, can't remember the exact circumstances as the instances were years ago.

Made me itchy though for a few minutes tho...

Better for them than that polystyrene eh ;-)

Alex

Reply to
AlexW

No you don't. There are very few UK beetle species that will be attracted by rotting wood (meaning indoor construction timber, not treestumps). It'll attract woodlice like a magnet, but not beetles

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes - it doesn't happen all that often does it ? Nothing to be scared about.

Oh baby!

Yes. Spouse went behind a shed yesterday to find something to use as a froglet stepping stone out of the pond and discovered that the timber wall was past its best. Not surprising after 50 years and three moves. I bought it in the 50s as a bike shed. So he removed the offending part, which was 'insulated' with ceiling tiles when he used the shed as a plane building workroom. There were bits of the stuff all over the yard, the hens had a birthday!

We also had a splendid fire with the rotting and cocoon laden timbers. Dry as tinder, it didn't last long.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm glad you said that, Andy, I was going to but thought better of it - it's important to be believed :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You are sure they are not June bugs? They fly around the Westcountry at this time of year and have hard wing casings which crunch alarmingly when you step on them. More alarming for them I guess. Don't do a lot of harm I think unless you eat too many.

Reply to
Jim Scott

Which is the lesser of two weevils?

mike

Reply to
mike ring

"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:42d5001c$0$28623 $ snipped-for-privacy@master.news.zetnet.net:

Well said, John.

And if you stopped preaching for a second and looked at the post....

"They're quite big. 1/2" in size and black. I really don't like sharing my bed with these critters "

What more do you need? Or is it just that annoyedtuna'a reasons are not good enough for you, and therefore not acceptable?

mike

Reply to
mike ring