Lamp parts - gooseneck

I'm after some parts to make a couple of clip on gooseneck LED desk lamps.

There's *nothing* in the shops (inc online) that I like. Prettiness is irrelevant - I want sturdy.

Does anyone happen to know of a source of:

Goosenecks (looking for something suitable to run a cable inside - not sure if microphone goosenecks are suitable). Also want about 2ft length.

Base clips that clamp onto table edges and can have said gooseneck bolted to them.

Lamp heads - not too fussy - ES, GX53, GU10, any other 240V head. I'd rather fit a generic mains LED to a plain simple base than wibble about with wallwarts. Not even bothered about shades, though an ES/BC fitting would probably take a generic shade.

It's my intention that this will be a Class I (earthed) appliance.

Yes - sorry - it's half arsed DIY - I'm looking for a few modules I can configure to what I want rather than actually making stuff (no time).

Cheers!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

I might be able to help you if you want some of the things I've got surplus.

I made some gooseneck lamps for my big band music stands and then I made some much lighter-weight ones to replace them...

So, what I've got is a over a dozen black heavy-duty goosenecks about 9 inches long and which you can screw togther to make longer ones, and over a dozen clamps (for clamping onto a desk, etc).

The goosenecks are 0.5 inch diameter and therefore quite sturdy - not the flimsy quarter inch variety you sometimes find.

They have a hole down the centre, about 4.5 or 5mm, so *just* able to take a small mains flex. I used two-core, no earth, so obviously you'll very be restricted in size of cable if you want it inside. I don't know if you'll find anything with a larger hole. They are not really intended for having cables inside.

In fact, I had to drill a hole through the thread fitting on the clamps so that I could get all my cables inside.

Send me an email and I'll photo them and email back tomorrow.

Michael (at mkilpatrick.co.uk)

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

On Tuesday 28 January 2014 18:25 Michael Kilpatrick wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Thank you Michael.

I will check first to see if I can find some suitable cable - looking at Farnell. It's true that "normal" 3 core 0.5mm2 PVC is about 5.5mm OD. That could be a problem.

I'm actually happy to terminate the CPC at the clip end and feed 2 cores up the middle, but that is a problem for how to get a nice termination at the clip end (change from 3 core to twin).

Perhaps this is not going to be as easy as I thought!

Is the inside of the gooseneck sleeved or bare metal? There may be an argument for calling it Class II, though for homebrew stuff like this, I usually prefer a good solid earth.

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've just dropped a 5.5mm drill bit through two of them screwed together, so that's fine. But I only drilled 5mm through the clamp thread as it's not much bigger than that externally! Might just manage a

5.5mm hole.

Drop me an email for later so I can email a photo etc (I'm out at a rehearsal tonight). I'd be happy to send several of these for the postage and packing costs as they're just taking up space...

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

goosenecks and end fittings

Andy Burns

Use some steel electrical conduit. All the fittings are available.

Reply to
harryagain

etc etc.

Just been to Lidl (Melksham)

3-99p for a goose-necked clip on fitting, which includes the GU10.

Some places charge more than that just for the GU10!

Reply to
gareth

On Wednesday 29 January 2014 16:12 gareth wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , Tim Watts writes

It's shit, see my review form Monday.

Reply to
fred

You could lose the sheath if you can clamp it to the clamp, and the gooseneck has no sharp bits inside

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Have you looked at John Lewis' website? I got an excellent clip on LED one from there a few months ago/

Reply to
charles