Ladder rubber feet

My trusty aluminium extending ladder has lasted at least 20 years, and is still in very good order - except that the rubber/plastic 'buffers' at the ladder ends have begun to deteriorate. These help grip the walls at the top, and the ground at the bottom, so they do contribute to safety of the ladder unit in use.

Can replacement buffers be obtained from the ladder manufacturers?

Currently they are riveted in place, but I guess that nuts & bolts would work just as well if I have to drill the rivets out.

Reply to
David J

Obviously that will depend on the manufacturer, won't it: and what better way to find out than to ask them?

I think for anything 20 years old you're going to be lucky, though.

David

Reply to
Lobster

It was some years before I tumbled to the cause of *missing feet* from stepladders. The eureka moment came as I was collecting apples and realised that the ladder feet had sunk into the soft ground and were likely to be pulled off when it was moved!

Going round the sheds, many sets of steps have missing feet. Perhaps this is in anticipation of inevitability or a mischievous attempt to correct an existing situation?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I wrap towelling round the top when resting on paintwork etc. I might do the same at the bottom if I lose the feet.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I've got bubble-wrap round the top of my step ladder, for when it's being used this way. For an extending latter, I would suggest a ladder stand-off at the top -- makes it feel much safer.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hmm, would have thought that cutting up some sections of scrap car tyre would work pretty well.

For the little ladder I built last year I just used some old rags, but I like the socks idea :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

What about wellington boots on the other end ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Google, lots to choose from

Mark

> -

Thanks for that info Mark - I'll need a couple of pair of these before long and you've saved me some work.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

on 08/06/2009, David J supposed :

If all else fails, HGV's have stick on thick rubber buffers at their rear ends. Probably you could buy some of these and carve them to fit with a saw.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

a) I don't tend to use the ladder when its raining, so how would that help?

b) Angle grinder.

;)

Reply to
Jules

Do they have to have steel toe caps to conform with HSE? ;-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

My Google search technique only showed me ladder manufacturers - no parts, so I had begun to think that these 'spares' were unobtainable.

So it's really good news.

DJ

Reply to
David J

Stockings instead of Socks, you always get Ladders in stockings.

G.harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Google search technique, that's becoming so essential in the way we now shop, it will soon be on the curriculum.  :(

-
Reply to
Mark

Take steps to stop them.

Reply to
PeterC

i ordered ladder feet you recommended from

they arrived this morning!

thanks

[g]

Mark wrote:

> Thanks Mark - they are just the fellows I need. >>

Reply to
george (dicegeorge)