Labelling plastic box

Last time I did something like this I used car spray paint, followed by letraset, followed by the clear topcoat. Looked top notch, but isnt quick. I think you'd be better doing it on metal, but if you must use plastic, at least sand it first.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Another being Farnell doing two 10% off *everything* discount offers in a fortnight.

Today's news from Northamptonshire about RS making 370 people redundant shed a bit of light on a phone call I had a work a couple of days ago from an RS teledroid who wasn't interested in me after I said we always place our orders over the web. I wonder if he was digging his own grave?

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

Label maker as in dymo raised impression tape or one of the laminated tape machines like the Brother p-Touch range. The latter are pretty damn good IMHO and with clear base get a very good result.

Engraving and in filling isn't expensive and produces the best results. If you don't have a use for a label machine, you can get an awful lot of engraving done for the same cost...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They still look a lot better than a dymo tape label and using a lamination carrier will improve the finish.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

That stock code and all the other bits for the panel making kit are long since discontinued. The last catalogue I know they appeared in would be around 2002.

Reply to
Mike

How many can you get done for £12.99? That's what a Ptouch one is in lidl this week.

Reply to
dennis

I didn't realise Dymo tape still existed. I've got a Brother label printer that produces excellent results - but a strip label will always look what it is. Although the white labels blend in quite well to white electrical faceplates.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's the number given in the instructions I have - and I checked it at the RS site today. They still have the starter kit in stock.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"We found no results for 586-073 "

Must be a different internet you have :)

Reply to
Mike

join the 20th century daddio

you need one of these

geoff

they announced 400 redundancies today ...

Reply to
geoff

"We found no results for 586-073 "

Bit of a senior moment. Try 568-073 ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, but the correct number is 568-073.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Indeed - hence the comment.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wish I could get hold of one - no end of things I'd like to engrave with a laser engraver.

Found out the other day that my son's school(!) has just got one - they did their own designs for stuff and he came home with a nicely engraved and precisely laser cut F-16 silhouette keyring.

We made milking stools. Hmm.

Reply to
PCPaul

Lidl have the Brother p-touch this week for around =A312 or =A313.

Lawrence

Reply to
l.milbourn

I've had lots of regular 13A sockets engraved in this way, and it was surprisingly cheap, although I haven't had any done recently.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

By far the best solution. When I worked at Thames TV they had a computerised one which removed the need for manual skills. Replaced by others, of course. ;-) Since that was many years ago I'd expect such things are now very much cheaper.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ye, an age old problem but settled on this style ...

wear well (kit in the pic's been well worked this past year) and can offer a tad more subtlety that the tape strips. Stuff is extremely thin, sticky backed, gold or silver mettalic foil (Lidl). Lasered, then thin laminate pouch (Lidl), run through the laminator (Lidl) 3 times. Double sided tape (yep Lidl), chop up and stick on.

Reply to
john

One method I have used to label light switches, is to laser-print the labels onto laser-proof overhead projector acetates. This can then be cut out to the size of the panel and fixed down with Superglue around the edge. Print the labels out backwards, so the printing ends up on the reverse side, so it is protected.

-- Jason

Reply to
Jason