Kitchen wall prep before refit

I'm undecided,

Whether to make good the kitchen walls, then fit a kitchen. Because it would be nice to start with, and work in, a nice clean, square envirinment.

Or given that the vast majority will be covered by cupboards and tiles etc. just bang the units in and make good what remains visible.

Just wondering what others would do?

Reply to
R D S

I know what most people would do.

I made good all the walls to below worktop level then lining-papered the whole room. It's much easier to do that sort of thing in an empty room than work around dropping snotters of plaster on fitted units.

The floor vinyl fitters were overjoyed when they saw what they had to work with - an empty room with a newly screeded floor.

And I hope that when someone in the future takes my units out they'll think that I did a good job in the places that weren't visible.

I must confess that my plastering didn't make the room 'square', though.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Mmm. I built a false MDF wall to straighten out som shoddy building and routed lots of mains cables behind that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had to rip out loads of plasterboard to expose the shoddy building and find where a previous owner had hidden the mains cables (and sockets).

Not that I'm accusing you of anything like plasterboarding over working sockets... I'm sure your house is lovely.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Oh,. this was new build. The chippies managed to build a wall crooked.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's what i'm leaning towards.

Reply to
R D S

Far easier to get the walls flat before adding cupboards.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Let's hope the cupboards don't. ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Much easier to prepare walls with nothing on them, and probably won't take any longer than working around cupboards, and avoiding damaging finishes, etc.

For the floor, I took the view that my tiled floor was likely to well outlast a kitchen, so I tiled with flush upstands (instead of skirting) the whole room before anything was fitted.

The floor is not far off 20 years old, and still looks brand new. (Mind you, so does the IKEA kitchen. I still haven't decided what handles to fit on the units;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Make sure you make good any area that you are going to tile. Starting off with a near perfect FLAT surface can make a big difference to the ease of tiling

Reply to
alan_m