Kitchen extract up an old chimney - thoughts?

Our range cooker is where the old kitchen fire was, so there's a redundant chimney (long-since blocked off) directly above it. I'm thinking of installing a liner in the chimney and using it as an extractor outlet. Any reasons why this might not be a "good thing"?

Reply to
nothanks

No experience, just an opinion. I thought of doing this, but was worried about condensation accumulating and running back down the flue.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Plus any grease.

Reply to
ARW

I did it 20-30 years ago no sign of condensation so far :-)

Reply to
Martin

Depends on how much you like oily brown condensate dripping into the food you are cooking.

Grease and oil will coat the inner surface after some time and while some will drip back the rest will remain and in the event of a pan fire on the hob will turn a difficult problem into a really serious one. To minimise the risk of fire spreading up the flue you should fit a fire flap/damper. Using a filter on the fan will not significantly alter the amount of oil/fat going up the chimney and most will condense on the chimney liner.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Of course we do :-)

Reply to
Martin

A steel tube comes out of the top of the hood right angle bend then about 5 feet more tube and then another right angle bend and then the pipe is connected to the inlet of the chimney. I was worried abut collecting cooking fat in the tube but it never happened

Reply to
Martin

That depends on whether the extractor hood has a replaceable filter and how often you change it. It works for us.

Reply to
Martin

Do you have a price for the liner?

Ones for wood burners generally cost more than the stove!

I would favour running the vent sideways if at all possible.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Well as long as it goes outside and has no leaks into other rooms. When my neighbour cooks something smelly I can smell it in my airing cupboard!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well you could have a little u bend in it to stop it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maybe their food tastes of your fabric conditioner?

Reply to
Andy Burns

From what you have said yours is horizontal pipe before joining an existing chimney. The proposed solution is a long vertical metal pipe so the temperature drop and condensation of oils and fats will be far worse. The mesh grease filters will stop some oil and grease but by no means all. In a long vertical pipe what remains will condense out and eventually trickle back down.

Reply to
Peter Parry

That sounds like a job for some sort of catalytic converter.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thanks for all the comments. I may be able to get a short horizontal section into the run immediately after the extractor (before heading up the chimney) but won't know until I start opening-up the bottom of the chimney. If it *is* possible then it should be easy to also make an access panel for cleaning and to run-up a cleaning mop once per year.

Reply to
nothanks

That hasn't happened after 20-30 years. The horizontal pipe is there because the extractor hood isn't under the chimney inlet.

Reply to
Martin