Joining snapped nylon moulding

Is it possible? I need to repair the nylon sliding bolt from a tumble dryer door latch. It has snapped due to bending stress, so a repair must be strong.

Reply to
Eric Lee

Sounds very unlikely; can't you just contact the manufacturer for a replacement? David

Reply to
Lobster

Discard it and get a new nylon bolt from the manufacturer.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Frankly, no. I have never found a glue that made any sot of decent bond to nylon.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This is even more difficult than mending it as the manufacturer has confirmed that it's unobtainable.

Rgds

Eric Lee

Reply to
Eric Lee

Ah. Then you are up shit creek without a paddle...

Possibilities that come to mind are

(i) trying to find one in a breakers or skip yard. (ii) making a whole new bit by carving from the solid. (iii) The ONLY technique that MAY work is to drill the broken bits and use a metal jointing screw,

However, on balance, I'd just buy a new drier.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I suspect that the replacement doesn't necessarily have to be made out of nylon. Can you make a new one out of a piece of brass or aluminium, using the broken one as a pattern?

Reply to
Set Square

Hmm, might be some mileage in that if I can find some 1mm CSK self-tappers.

Blimey, it's not even 15 years old yet!

Eric Lee

Reply to
Eric Lee