James May - Man Lab - How not to wire a plug.

At the beginning of the James May Man Lab programme they said that 8 out of

10 men could not wire a mains plug.

It would appear that James May himself and the whole of the production team do not know how to do this properly.

James said that to wire a plug with a cable with old colours, the black would be live and the red neutral.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I thought the whole program was dull and stupid. I shan't be watching again.

Reply to
Huge

In message , Michael Chare writes

It all seemed a bit aimed at the 8 out of 10, or hairdressers as I call them

mean to say, even I knew that most bombs had anti-tamper fuses

Reply to
geoff

Should be perfectly obvious that red is going to be hot, and green earth. Doesn't leave much choice for the neutral.

I could have lived with the new colours if they'd made blue be hot, a much more logical choice than brown.

Reply to
Tim Streater

you needed to watch it to work that out?

tim

Reply to
tim....

Yes, he did say words to that effect, but only in the course of demonstrating the futility of using poor aide memoirs for wire is which.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , tim.... writes

Though I rather like the idea ii this article

of a club where they have tools, you go have a pint and take a along a diy project to work or or whatever.

Reply to
chris French

In message , Michael Chare writes

Also when he showed the cable he had prepared all three wires seemed to be the same length. Normally the live would be the shortest, then the neutral slightly longer and then the earth the longest so that if the cord grip fails and the cable gets pulled it fails safe.

The bomb was interesting too, if there was a zus-40 below the type 17 it should have detonated when he removed the type 17 rather than 10 seconds later.

There again who expects TV to get things right?

Reply to
Bill

Funnily enough, there are moves to set up a 'hackerspace' in this area. Not dissimilar, although a bit more geeky...

Reply to
Bob Eager

That I doubt, most bombs had fuses that went off straight away. There wasn't much point in an anti-tamper fuse on such a device. Maybe you meant mines and time delayed bombs, they probably did have anti-tamper fuses.

Reply to
dennis

In message , Bill writes

All a bit Gok Wan really

Reply to
geoff

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Really, dennis?

So why did they go through the dramatic bit and explanation at the end to show that they did?

Fuck, you're a retard

Reply to
geoff

You never watched that TV series 'Danger UXB' did you SFB's?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Me to. Blue is the 'electric' colour to me. Neutral should be magnolia :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Time delay was to cause disruption by exploding when people had returned from the shelters and by denying the area to them, once they knew the bomb was there. Much more disruptive than the ones that just went bang and that was the end of it.

Anti handling was there to kill those that attempted to defuse them so that the above disruption could continue unhindered.

As it is near to Nov 11th maybe a time to remember these guys?

Reply to
Bill

Even the basic fuses had a variable time delay to make them adaptable for different tasks, plus also to increase the general disruption they caused to the smooth operation of a city in general. (plus an added benefit of acting as an anti ATO personnel device).

Start here:

very well researched and accurate portrayal of the development of the arms race between bomb maker and disposal expert through the course of the war.

Reply to
John Rumm

You have to hand it to our Dennis, embarrassment is unknown. What the devil was his dogs name?

Reply to
brass monkey

Depends on your background and culture to an extent... many countries use black for live, and not all associate red with danger.

Blue (along with yellow and red) was live in the old ones...

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , geoff writes

He'll be telling us next that he works for the bomb squad.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Tim Streater writes

Indeed. Think of the old 3-phase wiring colours, red/yellow/blue phases with a black neutral, simple and logical, and the new colours - black/black/brown with a blue neutral.

I had to smile, then take a photo, when I saw this:

Mike Tomlinson