James May - Man Lab - How not to wire a plug.

It's an EU standard, so it makes perfect sense that the earth coloured wire is live.

Reply to
Huge

Yup, got to agree with you there. It's as though the BBC have him under contract and were looking for a program they could put together around him.

He's done one or two moderately interesting progs in the past, but this failed dismally. I thought the whole approach was facile, trite.

Reply to
The Wanderer

I think there are (or used to be) some easy-wire (hah!) plugs where all three cables were cut to the same length.

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

Yes - I have seen a few traffic lights recently where they have replaced the red bulb with black...

Reply to
Geo

Yep. In China red is a lucky colour. Gifts are usually wrapped in red envelopes or paper. I agree that brown should be earth and blue the colour of live sparks. Since when did good sense enter the minds of the great and good?

In Africa someone with a cloud over his head isn't miserable but lucky. He's going to get rained on. Isn't 13 a lucky number to Jews?

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

The USA use black ('death') for live, white ('neutral colour'?) for neutral, and green for earth.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I'd say 'earth' (topsoil) is more usually a shade of black - unless covered in grass.

What seems logical to you invariably won't to someone else.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, but at least it is a programme encouraging DIY and not like all the over makeover programmes where you have to get a cowboy^^^^^^expert in to do everything.

I did think the concrete sink was particularly crap.

Reply to
Mark

That's 'cause you live in London and the soot's still in the soil!

Anywhere else soil is generally some sort of brown colour depending mainly on what's underneath.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Taylor

I don't, but the way you and geoff claim to know it all I suppose you and geoff do.

It wouldn't matter anyway as the majority of bombs exploded and the ones that remain were either faulty or delayed and faulty. If you want to explain why you needed anti-tamper on a bomb designed to explode on impact you may do so.

Reply to
dennis

Yes I know but most of the bombs were not time delayed.

Agreed. They do/did dangerous jobs as they were defusing time delayed bombs and they did have anti-tamper for a lot of the time.

It still means geoff was wrong with his statement about the majority of bombs having ant-tamper, only the majority of unexploded ones that were defused.

I like the way they used to drill a hole and melt the explosive from the bomb, taking the fuse out was so much more dangerous. I wonder how those "dragon" type de-fusers would cope with a 500lb bomb? Did the old style HE burn without detonating like C4 does?

Reply to
dennis

M3 2. It can be done right (and has been on Grand Designs) but that was a crap example.

Reply to
Huge

Yes, black = death was mentioned on the programme, I wondered where that come from.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Indeed.

Arguing for certain colours because they are more 'logical' seems fairly pointless.

That the colours are clear, and not confused seems to be the important bit

Reply to
chris French

The trailer was redolent of Top Gear (of which I've seen only snippets and trailers) so I decided that it'd be FU - and so it seems.

Reply to
PeterC

We have one here in Bristol (search under "Dorkbot") and it seems to be fairly successful. Although if anyone could, you'd expect Bristol to be able to.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, but does that mean they fitted the same fuse to all bombs including those that were never intended to be delayed?

Even if the Germans did, did the allies as the allies dropped far more bombs than Germany did, if they didn't it still makes what geoff said wrong even if the Germans fitted them to every bomb.

Reply to
dennis

But TG has only a tenuous connection to serious motoring. It's become a bloke-orientated entertainment programme.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Though have you seen how hard they try to attract non-blokes? Eg the audience. I know Richard Hammond has a certain following too.

Reply to
Clive George

I agree that some people's knowledge of geography may lead them to believe that the UK is in Africa, China, or the USA, but it in fact is not.

Reply to
Tim Streater