is it legal for a UK 13A mains plug to _not_ have a fuse? dodgy camera battery charger?

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

it into raw mains electricity coming through polluted copper cables. I say rip out your house wiring and replace it all the way back to the substation with gold plated oxygen free silver.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Reply to
The Other Mike

Nah, you don't want other people's dirty electricity getting into your circuits off those transformers. Only way is to install your own micro generation facility.

A couple of pounds of *really* *pure* U235 should generate enough output for the most powerul and sensitive of hifi systems ...

t'other Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

No need to do that anymore, Russ Andrews has come the rescue of the totally deranged hifi consumer demanding 'better sound quality' at any cost.

The Other Mike

I'd be a lot more convinced of their veracity if they could actually spell the word.

Thanks for that, the whole page is a delight to read - especially the fuses.

What do these people ever listen to? Direct-cut acetates of Elf-song, recorded live at Rivendell?

I've got a new microphone on my desk at the moment - large diameter condenser vocal mic. Banged out by a factory in China (I was at Uni with the Singaporean EE student who now runs the place) for just under a hundred, UK RRP and a right good bargain. Especially when the same mic goes out the other door at the same factory, in a different box and with a different shock mount for =A3350

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember David Robinson saying something like:

Yep, I bought a HK-made *but UK-supplied* light box a couple of years ago with the identical plug on it.

Quite illegal, afaik, and bloody dangerous, imo.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

What's the point? The transformers don't use OFC and they run hot and emit thermal noise (like valves do).

What you need to invest in is micro generation so you can control what's in the circuit.

£12k for some solar PV, £10k for a gas powered sterling engine, some batteries, etc is all that's needed to make a nice power supply for your HiFi system. Opps sorry they are the trade prices, retail +1000%.
Reply to
dennis

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Night Tripper saying something like:

Only if it was turned out of high-purity iternium and cossetted between a maiden's thighs during transport, to preserve the vibration wunderfim of the molescular matrix, thus ensuring the ultimate quound sality.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

the loonies.

Reply to
dennis

: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Would it even be legal to install that cable, doesn't it need to be BS6004 or whatever?

Reply to
airsmoothed

If the noise is low enough which it often isn't with those ones..

Name names then Andy if you will!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Does it come with the maiden attached ?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Nick Leverton saying something like:

At that price? Certainly.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ignoring the price and the BS - what kind of hi-fi needs a 13A fuse?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

only for 10 guilders

Reply to
Adam Funk

carried away and turn the volume up too high - a snip at 35 quid each...

Andy Wade

It's only 3kW. With decent 5.1 system that is only 500W RMS per channel input. The sub may well want more so even less for the other

5 channels...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Dingley saying something like:

Huh. My local hardware store stocks a range of shit-made lampholders that fall apart with the heat of a 60W bulb. Guess where they're made. Annoying thing is, they're a direct copy of a well-established UK make and I thought I was buying something half-decent.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

ISTR a discussion here a while ago re MK items. The ones sold by B&Q are apparently manufactured to a lower spec..

Reply to
Bob Eager