iron soil pipe

Many moons ago I stitch drilled a hole in our metal soil pipe (don't ever d o that face on!). The upstairs bit had never been used and a bird's nest wa s firmly wedged in it. Having freed it, as a temporary measure, I put some sort of gloopy tape round it. 30 years on it's finally disintegrated. Gaffe r tape just won't do, so is there some kind of 100mm plastic ring I could f it? It only needs to cover the hole and not make a joint for another pipe. The Timesaver conversion coupling looks like the kind of thing but not sure how wide the strap is.

Any advice appreciated

Reply to
stuart noble

flap of rubber held in place with a jumbo ty-rap or two?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I?ve seen sticky backed lead tape/sheet to repair holes cut in frozen down pipes.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

stuart noble laid this down on his screen :

Might a larger stainless steel jubilee clip do it? The sort of thing they commonly use to clamp street signs onto posts. If that was too small to cover the hole, add a small section of 100mm split plastic pipe clamped by the jubilee clip, perhaps with some mastic to seal plastic to metal of the pipe.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I have covered a hole in a 110mm PVC vent pipe by cutting a short piece of similar diameter pipe, slitting it down its length so that it can be carefully prized open without snapping, applied adhesive to the inner surface and slipping it over the pipe with the hole with the slit on the opposite side to the hole (from the side, not over the end, IYSWIM; it means you have to open the slit quite wide), and then slathering sealant over the ends and over the slit itself. Still OK after 15 years. See

(The galvanised wire supports the pipe itself but has nothing to do with the piece covering the hole).

Reply to
Chris Hogg