IP44 & IP65

Looking on Screwfix for an external light I notice that some are rated IP44 splashproof and some are IP65 weatherproof. The ones rated IP44 also say for external use. So in what circumstances is an IP44 rated light not suitable?

In my specific case the light will be exposed fully to the elements, e.g. on the side of the house.

Confused!

John

Reply to
John Smith

In article , John Smith writes

Only the 2nd number is relevant for waterproofing - the 1st number is about protection against solids.

IP(4)4 means "Protected against direct sprays from all directions - limited ingress permitted"

IP(6)5 means "Protected against low pressure jets from all directions - limited ingress permitted"

In effect this means that you should drill a small drain hole in the bottom of the fixture to let out any water which gets in, and either will be fine.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

IP ratings are generally better the higher the number - it's actually treated as 2 digits, the first specifying the protection against solids, the second against liquids.

Have a look at

a good table.

Personally, I'm not sure an IP44 light would stand up to a British winter outside, myself...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Personally, I'd only install IPx4 in a relatively sheltered location where it will only be subject to occasional small amounts of rain. If it is on an exposed face, I'd want at least IPx5, even if IPx4 is technically acceptable.

If it is on a sheltered wall, such as the narrow side passage of a Victorian terraced "extension" or between two semis or under a tree, then it wouldn't be so bad.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I would describe heavy rain as "direct sprays from all directions" rather than "low pressure jets from all directions" so I will go with a IPx4 rated light.

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John Smith

In article , Christian McArdle writes

In my experience, even supposedly IP66 fixtures get water in them somehow.

If you drill a small hole at the lowest point to allow water to get out, it does not cause a problem. It's when water gets stuck inside and condenses on everything that the problems start.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell