Integrated Dishwasher or Free-Standing?

Hi All,

I'm looking to fit a dishwasher into my kitchen and have a couple of options about where to put it but each has its slight complexity.

The first option (and the preferred one in many ways) is to convert a current cupboard. However being a normal cupboard at the moment, the door opens the wrong way and it has a 'floor' and shelves that would need removing. Size-wise this option is ok but it is the feasibility of the conversion that puzzles me. Also, the sink nearby has some sort of compact waste system and would need a conventional U-bend and waste-hose junction fitted. It would also need the cold-water feed connections fitted to the pipes. I'm not too sure if there would be any issues with the plinth either. It is the location that is the big bonus for this option.

The second choice would be for a free-standing machine in another part of the kitchen, this is near to where the water-feed and waste are for the washing machine but the main problem here is that the waste pipe (of the large downpipe variety) has only room for one hose. I would presume that it wouldn't be too taxing for a plumber to fit in another pipe for the dishwasher though.

The second choice is definitely the easiest I would think but the wife does not really want the dishwasher at the end of the kitchen.

Any thoughts or comments welcome!

Thanks.

Reply to
Endulini

Think you may be confused about what an integrated dishwasher actually is. With a few exceptions, these are designed to fit into the space occupied by a cupboard (ie, 600mm wide, and filling the space between floor and worktop). They don't usually fit *inside* an existing cupboard.

There are one or two very compact models around which *do* fit inside a cupboard, but they are relatively expensive and certainly pretty small compared with 'proper' machines. If that's really what you want, then be aware of the limitations versus your option 2.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I have a preference for a free standing one - more choice - easier to service and replace.

Reply to
John

Stick it at the end of the kitchen or she will soon be moaning about not having cupboards to put things in.

Reply to
Rob

No, I realise that, I appreciate that I would have to remove the floor of the cupboard to fit it in. That's part of my quandary, how easy is that? Also how likely that I would be able to manage it without having to remove the plinth? And then there is the door issue.....

Cheers

Reply to
Endulini

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 20:30:36 +0100, "Endulini" mused:

No, you remove the _whole_ cupboard, shelves, sides, bottom etc...

You would most certainly have to remove the plinth to firstly get the cupboard out and then to get the dishwasher in. You would most likely also have to cut a notch along the plinth in front of the dishwasher for the door opening.

The door is usally the easiest bit of an integrated dishwahser.

Reply to
Lurch