Insulating containers?

:

you use it you dont need framing.

works out at nearkly 160 quid cheaper but...

it's the size that's unclear. 12.2x4, what does that mean

e framing to bring them into line ;-)

Loft insulation roll would surely be cheaper, or frameless polystyrene.

e is over 100mm deep , it might kick into the space, but it will leave gaps , it won`t flatten in any meaningful manner.

I did just address how to do that

all insulation does. It's what al foil's for.

whether insulation waterlogs depends on the VB

PB is the fire barrier

ontainer running from around the 1500 quid mark, spending a grand to insula te it simply dosent make sense,site office with the insulation windows and door runs from around 3K.

ing, may also have something to do with being temporary buildings getting around some planning restrictions...

What would it cost to build it out of polystyrene & render?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

OTTOMH

Shipping containers are primarily designed for carrying material. Which makes them equally suitable for storage but not for providing an equable environment for people. More especially if those people are seated at a desk.

Simple respiration, people breathing in and out produces a lot of condensation. The standard ventilation found in some shipping containers is presumably to allow for damp goods or materials at the time of loading, not for condenstion being produced all the time.

So extra ventilation would be a must.

Shipping container doors go top to bottom and would allow lots of heat to escape in use unless a second skin and door was fitted inside the back. With one permanent door left open al the time.

Shipping containers don't have windows, and without these being fitted, could be an oppressive working environment.

Shipping containers are ply lined presumably for similar reasons as are some vans, transits, trailers etc. Presumably to protect the goods anfd facilitate loading and unloading rather than insulation.

In such situations s/h portacabins, old caravans, and sectional wooden sheds/workshops are all possible solutions.

michael adams

michael adams

Not all are.

Reply to
Adrian

I never said they were.

Here's what I actually wrote, with the part you snipped, re-instated.

" Shipping containers are ply lined presumably for similar reasons as are some vans, transits, trailers etc.

Thus -

People carry umbrellas presumably for the same reason others wear waterproof clothing.

Doesn't imply that all people carry umbrellas; but only applies to those who do.

Similarly with containers.

Had I instead written that " Some shipping containers are ply lined presumably for similar reasons as are some vans, transits, trailers etc.

This could have been taken to imply that there were other shipping containers which are ply lined for other reasons.

michael adams

michael adams

Indeed - but they can be adapted.

In London, you see towers (2, sometimes 3 levels high) of shipping containers on building sites sometimes. Some are storage, but there are loos and canteens and surveyors' offices - these have windows and personal doors fitted, but are otherwise containers. I suspect they are quite habitable inside - they look, through the windows, like they've been fitted out with standard modular office stuff - sheet wall panels, trunking, lights and power.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Indeed. They can be adapted at a cost. And probably have the advantage over portakabins of being rather more robust, especially if they're going to be moved around from site to site, and usually out of doors. All of which in the OP's situation would be rather expensive overkill IMO.

michael adams

michael adams

I was just wondering if the OP could adapt them? Angle grinder and fit a uPVC window....

There, said "angle grinder" in a legitimate context!

Reply to
Tim Watts

The main problem, and costs will probably arise from trying to strike a balance between insulation and ventilation. The need to both maintain the desired temperature inside, while providing sufficient fresh air for the occupants to breathe. Aqualungs might offer one solution but then there's the problem of their bashing the cylinders on the corners of filing cabinets etc.

michael adams

michael adams

te:

if you use it you dont need framing.

h works out at nearkly 160 quid cheaper but...

Guess they are full width 1220 but run from 2000 -2400 length , probably da maged ends cut off.

All it indicates is a lot of wastage and spray can foam trying to correct, bargain kinda vanishes.

ome framing to bring them into line ;-)

. Loft insulation roll would surely be cheaper, or frameless polystyrene.

ate is over 100mm deep , it might kick into the space, but it will leave ga ps, it won`t flatten in any meaningful manner.

Until let a gap in somewhere, which needs good fitting panels...

Seen barn insulation kits that appear to be duvet style bagged insulation r oll, its either keep it dry or let it breathe as far can understand.

Some SIPs are polystyrene cored, suppose FR retardence is on a par with PIR foam.

container running from around the 1500 quid mark, spending a grand to insu late it simply dosent make sense,site office with the insulation windows an d door runs from around 3K.

aving, may also have something to do with being temporary buildings gettin g around some planning restrictions...

Beko Bloc or similar , good and fast but not cheap unfortunately.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

But that is not a problem peculiar to containers :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Your workplace must be interesting. ;-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

Thats where the thought started, cheap container , some s/h DG units, few lengths of angle iron, some insulation....

Most container conversion outfits advertise absolutely everything apart from shop conversions, wonder if that`s to do with the slime balls at Box Mall`s claim that they have a patent on the idea.

Travelodge Uxbridge was built dfrom container modules and there is the slightly ludicrous Snoozebox rolling around.

Steel containers are mainly used against Portacabins for vandal resistance as far as can understand.

Transportability actually adds to the cost and still end up with everything in 8ft wide modules.

Think Michael has hit the problem on the head, ply lining with rockwool works fine for storage, where no one is actually breathing for any length of time,otherwise its a potential mould magnet.

Mebbe need to try the plane breakers, airliner fuselage , just leave the drop down masks in ;-)

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

But in other contexts, there may be no other alternatives. By providing air conditioning, rather than aqualungs, that is.

There's a world of difference between environments which are air conditioned so as provide a controlled environment, or where its impossible to open windows etc. and going to the expense of adapting shipping containers for a purpose for which they were clearly never designed. When there are more economic alternatives.

michael adams

michael adams

Indeed. We have heating. And windows to open when the heating is too hot. We could put the aircon instead, but I'm not convinced it works!

(Before any smart Alec says "turn the rads down" - our options there are limited and the Asbestos signs scare us from fiddling too much...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well - quite possibly. The context I see them as offices in is where they are well suited - places where they need to be very secure (pikey thefts) and where they may need to be stacked and where they are likely to stay in one piece if donged by a digger! Not to mention moving the is really really simple.

It may be the OP's scenario makes other options better, but it's my policy to answer questions literally and not second guess motives :) The OP said "container" and thus I responded :-o

Reply to
Tim Watts

I guess asbestos warning signs are better than "beware of the leopard"!

Reply to
Adam Funk

We might as well have that sign!

Reply to