Insulate article in Green Lib Dem website

ntioned in article wanted to do to new buildings and rented. They have spok en and written about it

ertical gaps left behind it which chimney-ed the fire." shows that it is my conjecture

g regulations.

nah, that's far too sensible

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes we're not short of building land, just sentimental about not wanting a lot of it built on. I'm not taking sides here!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

while that's understandable upto a point, the insistence on no building on nearly all land is causing a housing crisis and a traffic crisis. Sanity needs to return to the process at some point.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Have you actually considered that if we had a stable populations with no net immigration we wouldnt need to build new houses at all, except to replace old ones that were beyond repair?

There are signs that among what Harry would call ethnic white Europeans the birth rate is slightly below replacement. Thast means that ALL the population pressure is coming from first or second generation immigrants.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There is much much more to the topic than what you have covered. Exhaustively covered elsewhere.

Thermal bridging. Weather proofing. Interstitial condensation. Vapour barri ers. Closed cell v. open cell insulation. Roof overhang. Ventilation. Fire hazard. Effects of burying electrical wiring in insulation. Payback periods . Methods of securing. Infiltration. Thermal masses. Finishes. Sourcing.

All covered at some time on this news group.

Reply to
harry

that's not correct of course, unless you think people are happy to live in as little space as they did decades ago, and live in traffic gridlock.

And yes, cities have higher land value than forest, so it's sensible that on the whole cities take priority.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

A population increase of 15million in the last 50 years is what is causing the problem.

Reply to
Tim Streater

A "report" you omitted to say came from an anti-nuclear climate change "think tank" led by an ex-executive director of Friends of the Earth and partially funded by Greenpeace.

These would be the idiotic idea which led to everyone being given free boxes of CFL bulbs whether they wanted them or not and rolls of roof insulation at a few pence each to leave rolled up in the attic or used in allotments to keep seeds warm?

By how much did UK energy consumption drop because of these expensive "initiatives" "programmes" and "obligations"?

Reply to
Peter Parry

I think there are other pressures. For instance university students get used to the idea of living away from home and are more likely to take employment not reachable from their birthplace. The 3 generations in one home not uncommon pre-WW2 is rare now. Greater affluence coupled with a desire for independence by young couples must be a partial driver for house price increases.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

People with an agenda, IOW.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I know there's more in this great newsgroup and wiki, I've put a link to th is discussion at the end of the article, hope that's OK. https://greenlibde ms.org.uk/insulate [george] PS (I guess everyone reading it will take my troll warning not to apply to themself ! )

riers. Closed cell v. open cell insulation. Roof overhang. Ventilation. Fir e hazard. Effects of burying electrical wiring in insulation. Payback perio ds. Methods of securing. Infiltration. Thermal masses. Finishes. Sourcing.

Reply to
George Miles

It would have been more useful if you had corrected the factual errors first.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Is it OK to link to your article as an example of how substituting political "belief" for rational investigation and analysis can be just as bad as religious beliefs that lead to banning education for women or marriage to a person of a different faith?

Reply to
Robin

The CFL bulbs were never free nor were the rolls of insulation cheap! They were paid for by a surcharge on everyone's energy utility bills and over the years when this stupidity was taking place every household in the country probably paid around an average £250 for the privilege.

Reply to
alan_m

So there reference or link to what you are talking about?

So why is your conjecture in this article?

What has insulation failings on high rise developments got to do with what you are writing about?

After sensible regulations, yes they do.

Part P was never sensible - it was political again.

(even when Prescott's lot even realised half way through the enactment that their entire argument was based on their not understanding their own accident stats - they still went ahead with it!)

And how much did that cost?

Do you not suppose that the cost alone would dissuade many from improving their insulation?

(especially as the cost of the building notice is usually based on the typical *commercial* cost of having the work done, even when DIYing at a fraction of the cost)

Reply to
John Rumm

Could be referring to the cancellation of the "zero" carbon homes scheme, which AIUI didn't require houses to actually be better insulated, just to offset their emissions elsewhere.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , Peter Parry writes

I had BG around to inspect my loft, but because it was part boarded over they wouldn't do it as they couldn't demonstrate enough energy savings to record it under their "obligation" - and they couldn't include extensions.

Reply to
bert

Their calculations of savings assumed people would immediately fit the "free" bulbs in high consumption locations and throw away the incandescents, whereas they probably waited until the little used incandescents blew as the high consumption locations would already have CFLs.

Reply to
Max Demian

Must be 1000's lying never used in drawers and cupboards once it was found they were not actualy that good at illumination and took too long to come on for some locations. Some of those locations were outside and putting the light on 10 minutes before you needed it so it could warm up got too much of a chore.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Not quite. Broadly, 70 per cent had to be on-site. So it biased towards eg local generation (eg local wind and rooftop solar). You couldn't achieve zero carbon by relying on and helping to pay for a nuclear power plant 50 miles away :)

A good clue that it was always a half-baked bit of value signalling was that when Gordon Brown announced the zero carbon homes legislation it was trumpeted with "Britain is the first country to make such a commitment". Yeah, right, another example of "Our Johnny is in the only one in step".

Reply to
Robin