Installing shower

I have had a long lecture from someone who has seen a video online showing a shower being fitted. That includes testing the output temperature with a thermometer. In practice, does anyone ever do that?

Reply to
GB

Possibly only where there is a legal requirement to do so such as for a temperature controlled shower in a old folks home/hospital etc.

On mixing showers testing only the output is insufficient. You first need to establish that the hot water feed is at a scalding temperature and the output is a lower temperature. If you test the output when the hot water input is barely warm the test will always pass.

Reply to
alan_m

I have. Do you need to? The answer is in most cases no.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Me too.

I also have this uncalibrated thermometer that I take everywhere with me, known as a hand.

Reply to
newshound

Yes. I set the stop on our thermostatic shower valve to the point where it was a little too hot to stand, but not hot enough to scald for a reasonable period. Why would I want a thermometer for that?

OK, one where vulnerable people, with different tolerances are present would require a properly measured setting.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yup I set them similarly - or at least the hot end calibrated so its hot for SWMBO and warm for me - then I have the extra travel past the "danger" stop to get a decent temperature :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, that is *really* important. It is not just the tolerances, it's that some people can't sense when they are being burned.

Reply to
newshound

I've found that what's a comfortable shower temp for one person would have another screaming in pain.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, but not actually causing any harm. The stop is not to prevent someone being (very) uncomfortable, it is purely to prevent them accidentally injuring themselves - otherwise there would not be a means to override it and turn it hotter.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

ave another screaming in pain.

I'm not convinced of that, but am not willing to do the experiment.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr