Installing Shower

Is it OK to put the trap for a shower on the horizonal run instead of the initial vertical drop from the drain? What I'd like to do is turn the initial drop through the joist with a 90. Once on the other side, go with another 90 into the trap. The vent would only be about a foot away from this point. The trap/vent relationship should be OK. I'll try some ASCII art.

Al

Reply to
Al Smith

One disadvantage of having the trap remote like that is that there is a long length of pipe from the basin which is not trapped. That can result in odors inside the shower stall from mildew growth in the soapy scum in the pipe. Just so ya know.

Wasn't clear from the ASCII, but the vent connects on the *downstream* side of the trap.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim