Installing gas meter box

I recently bought a house that has had its gas connection removed, the old gas main has been capped where the pipe comes out of the ground next to the front door. British Gas have told they will fit a meter free of charge as long as I have the box correctly fitted for it to be installed into.

I've bought a standard surface mount gas meter box from here:

It has four approx 6mm holes in the back, how should I attach this to the o utside of my house (1920's terrace, brick cavity walls)?

Also does anybody know if there's any regulations covering these things as the companies I've rung so far have been pretty unhelpful!

Cheers, Ralph

Reply to
ralphhughes

Just one thought. ISTR you mustn't make any *extra* holes in the back of the box (for fear they might allow gas to enter the cavity wall or house). Worth bearing in mind if you are going to need to add "main bonding" to the gas pipe in the meter box as you'll need to route the cable through a hole in the cover. See eg

Robin

d gas main has been capped where the pipe comes out of the ground next to t he front door. British Gas have told they will fit a meter free of charge a s long as I have the box correctly fitted for it to be installed into.

Four screws through the box into the wall seems the most obvious answer to me.

I don't know, but provided they are reasonably draughty and rain-tight, I d on't think there's much they need to do.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Since it's only a 5 minute job to drill 4 holes in the wall, fit plugs, and screw the box to the wall, I'd be inclined to wait until BG turn up to fit the meter, and discuss with them exactly where it needs to go relative to the pipe connections. They may even fit it for you!

Reply to
Roger Mills

d gas main has been capped where the pipe comes out of the ground next to t he front door. British Gas have told they will fit a meter free of charge a s long as I have the box correctly fitted for it to be installed into.

outside of my house (1920's terrace, brick cavity walls)?

s the companies I've rung so far have been pretty unhelpful!

There should be a piece of plastic pipe with the box that spans the cavity in the wall. This goes out of the back of the box into the house and must b e sealed to both inner and outer masonry leafs. The outgoing gas pipe goes through this. This is the main requirement you have to look out for. It's purpose is to stop gas filling the cavity wall space if there are any leaks. (Major cause of gas explosions in the past.)

The box itself will be ventilated as should any voids the gas pipe passes t hrough. (Eg back of cupboards/kitchen units etc)

Reply to
harry

Are pipes exiting the rear of a surface mounted box even permitted? I thought the pipe had to exit the box through a cutout in the cover and then enter the house outside the box.

But as Roger said, I'd wait until BG turn up and ask them where they want the box - and what brew they'd like with their chocolate biscuits :)

Reply to
Robin

I think that only applies to recessed boxes where the holes could provide a route to the wall cavity. So long as extra holes only go to outside air they're no different from the ventilation slots in the door.

Reply to
Mike Clarke