Installing an SSD to suppliment an HDD

Ah, yup zoom into the picture and read the silk screen on the card and you can read "Note this adaptor does not support SATA M2 SSD"

So to all intents the cars will see nothing connected, and windows won't see any drive either.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you mean the adaptor card, then no it sole purpose in life is to attach M2 SSDs. However it is type specific, and does not support the OPs drive.

Many older motherboards lack M2 slots, so cards of this type are the only viable solution internally.

(yes you can mount one on USB but that will have a big negative impact on performance compared to a native interface)

Reply to
John Rumm

Well, thank you for that, I think! At least it will save me making more effort to get it working. My inexperience in these things rules again! I read the main adapter description "Support M.2 PCIe

22110,2280, 2260, 22422 and thought 'well, my SSD is M2 type 2280, so it should be OK!' <sigh>

Before I commit myself to the vast expenditure of £3.19, would you care to comment on the suitability of Theo's suggestion,

Chris Hogg

When I searched I found this:

Only £14.90 :o(

Looks identical.

Reply to
Pancho

When you succeed put the os on it and use the HD for data.

Reply to
FMurtz

Yup that looks ok - it will let you connect the M2 drive directly to a spare SATA interface rather than the PCIe.

Reply to
John Rumm

+1

In fact, I would simply clone the existing HDD to the SSD... (let me know if you want a key for Acronis to do an easy clone operation - I have a pile of them spare).

Reply to
John Rumm

That describes the form factor as M2 22mm x 80mm.

M2 can be many things depending on the interface, SATA is one interface that M2 supports. Another is PCIe. What is supported depends on the chips fitted. As you have discovered, the interfaces can vary.

Reply to
mm0fmf

That was the plan, and I already use Acronis, but thanks for the offer.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

FWIW if you're feeling flush (£5.43) there's also this option:

which sits in a PCIe slot and gives you an NVMe M.2 slot and a SATA M.2 slot. It might be be easier to mount and save on cabling since it takes its power from the PCIe, and leaves a free slot in case you ever want to fit an NVMe drive later.

(these are the cheapest ones with EU stock listed on ebay - lots of different resellers of the same things, pick whoever you fancy for delivery times/feedback/whatever)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Thanks. Yes, looking under the lid at the hardware layout in the computer, that might be an easier install from a practical POV than the other one you suggested.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Has anyone suggested going to the CMOS to activate the extra drive? Life is too short to reads all the replies.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Turned out to be a hardware incompatibility.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No, because these days the bios doesnt need to know about any drives other than the ones you boot from: By the time the operating system is up it normally should have searched all the hardware and loaded drivers to deal with it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher