Inspecting the construction of a solid concrete base

I would like to determine the exact construction of our conservatory floor base i.e. whether or not it is insulated and, if so, how and to what extent .

To do this I figured I could simply drill an 8mm hole through the base and pass a small endoscope camera down in the hope that I would be able to obse rve each layer in passing - a small scale subterranean geological dig.

Does anyone see any issue with this approach? Do you think I would see each layer as envisaged? I am particularly mindful of the consequences of punct uring any damp proof membrane that might be present, what to fill the hole with afterwards sufficient to restore whatever properties its former materi als provided etc.

Any advice gratefully received!

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I would pour a plug of liquid DPM (Wickes one is a mix of bitumen and rubber) into the hole, but that's just because I have some left over and have found it very good for slathering onto anything that needs to keep water out, rather expensive to buy some just for an 8mm hole though.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, I was thinking I could see what I've got lying around. Heated waxoyl perhaps?

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Ground penetrating radar? I see a lot of utility companies now use this before they dig holes! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I like (love) the sound of that idea Brian but it doesn't seem particularly DIY! :smileyface

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Small core drill ? but you would probably still compromise the membrane.

Reply to
FMurtz