Info on plasterboarding

I am going to attempt this weekend to plasterboard an alcove in our bedroom. The width of alcove is 3 feet and height will be 10 feet.

My plan is to a) Screw in some 3 by 2 lenghts of wood on the side of alcove as well as the top and bottom (recessed back by 12mm as that is thickness of plasterboard)

b) Put in some horizontal strips of 3 by 2 where necessary

c) affix plasterboard to wood

My questions are:

1) For fixing plasterboard which is best screws or nails.

2)I do not intend to plaster on the plasterboard. I would like to just put on wallpaper lining paper. the reason being is that a) the area will be hidden by a wardrobe and b) i don't know how to plaster. Where the plasterboard meets existing wall will not be a flush join. There may be a gap of a few mm. What do i ask for/look for to fill gap in builders merchants?

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
Steve F

Screws, drywall screws.

Cellulose filler, just fill and sand.

Reply to
Grunff

Drywall screws

A flexible filler.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Steve Check when you go to your builders tard if they have any 10ft plasterboard, it is available, though rarely held as stock. If not then go for 3x6 rather than 8x4 since you will have a horizontal joint anyway, so you may as well not struggle with larger boards.

Definately drywall screws rather than nails.

Flexible filler is ideal for gaps since you are papering over.

Good Luck Calum Sabey NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544

Reply to
calums

Drywall screws. With a shrouded drywall screw driving bit on the end of a drill/driver they are very quick and easy to use and get a better grip.

To do a very neat job you could use taper edge boards. Once screwed on, tape the joint with fibreglass scrim tap, and then use a wide filling (or taping) knife to apply board filler to the joint and also over all the screw heads. One dry sand it. You should now have a first class surface to decorate.

Reply to
John Rumm

IIRC you can get 10 foot lengths of the stuff, so you can put the stuff on with no need for joints. I'd use bonding for it if I were you.

There will be plenty in a bag to smear the whole of the board and this will allow you to fix things like shelving anywhere on the board at some future date.

It's not a bad filler either. It does go a lot harder than Polyfilla though. (Hence it's usefulness as a ground for screws.) Or is the gap in Builder's Merchants a lot more serious?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Cheers to everyone for the responses. Off to get all the stuff you have recommended.

Regards

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Fisher