Induction motors

What is the power difference approximately between a 700w motor and a 550w induction motor in a pillar drill ?

Reply to
fred

Are you talking about brushed motors vs induction motors? It really depends on the design of the motors in question. I feel that brushed motors generally have more torque, but there are induction motors with control circuits these days that compensate for saturation effects. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

150w
Reply to
Dave W

:)

Reply to
FMurtz

Mine is a 500w induction motor and have rarely found it lacking in torque. Although I only ever use the lowest speed gearing anyway.

The previous one was IIRC 350w and prone to stall when using things like a hole saw.

Of course as with everything, you can never have excess power. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

to paraphrase 'You cant' be too thin or too rich and now also too powerful'

Reply to
fred

Almost exactly equivalent to having a five legged horse and chopping a leg off. But much depends on whether they are genuine UK/IEC horses fed on hay or chinese ones fed on rice, fruit bats and snake remains :)

550W correctly reduced in speed via a pulley system and preferably a steel geared gearbox will mean, at least with a correctly sharpened drill bit, you'll easily be able to drill 1 inch diameter holes in mild steel plate. Restraining the item you are drilling could be the bigger issue.

If it's a chinese horsepower without gearing then it could be 1/4" in plastic or wood

--

Reply to
The Other Mike

A 1" twist drill? Crikey. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have a set of 'blacksmiths drill bits' that go up to that size (diameter <g>). I mainly use them when counter boring softer materials on the lathe as they are quicker than say a 13mm bit then boring bar.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m