Incoming 3-phase main

I'm finally getting YEDL/NEDL to install seperate metered supplies to my flats to replace their parasitic connection to the shop downstairs, but their chap says I need to install a 100mm/4" cable duct. That seems overlarge to me, I could get my arm down that. All the hockey sticks on buildings around me are about 4cm, not 4inch. Before I spent another afternoon widening my

4cm hole to 4inches, and trekking back to Dewsons for larger ducting, does that sound right?

Ta.

-- JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Not knowledgeable on this but curious to know the answer to the need. Duct is to accommodate: Four wires? What size or gauge? Also a fifth earth/ground wire?

Reply to
terry

4" is used in our neck of the woods for *any* 3ph incomer - try getting a 35mm waveform through a 2" duct :-}

(the cable might be bigger as well, depending on the number of flats and type of heating)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Two flats, one landlord supply for staircase, gas heating.

Ok, I've got time off work this week, I'll just make the hole bigger and see if Dewson's'll take the hockey stock back.

Receipts? What are they?

-- JGH

Reply to
jgharston

It'd be more interesting to ask what colour duct the REC want you to use - you're paying for the supply, and in our neck of the woods, the duct is given to you by the REC (bearing in mind that people generally expect services of a particular type to be in a particular colour, and it may be a safety issue if it isn't a standardised type)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Aye, I'll second that. Many years since I did supply quotations, but my standard wording went something like

'You will be required to provide a 100mm earthenware duct through the footings of the building. The duct should be laid at a depth of 450mm, terminating in an easy bend radius at inside floor level.'

As CW has suggested, the cable diameter is close to the size of a hockey stick, which is intended for single phase cables, not three phase.

Reply to
The. Wanderer

You get 100mm black plastic these days (like waste pipe). Do'nt be tempted to use Wavin coil land drain as a cheap substitute, the cable WILL stick every foot as you try to push it through. Allan

Reply to
Allan Mac

Things that keep the Tax Man at bay :-)

Reply to