Immersion heater bending shelf!

Dave, you tank looks like one of these to me. http://www.gasapplianceguide.co.uk/Newark%20Cylinders/Newark%20Combination%20Copper%20Cylinders.htm
There might be a T piece on the cold water inlet with a draincock leading away from the bottom of the tank if you're lucky.
If not, I would undo the plastic elbow on the hot water outlet near the top and push a length of hose pipe into the cylinder through this outlet.
When you think the hose pipe has reached the bottom of the tank, syphon the water out to a drain somewhere or your garden.
Tim
Well, I'd be very careful as if the shelf has been bending so has the plumbing connecting it to the system.
Can you empty the system, that would make it lighter. Then leave the chipboard shelf and build supports underneath it to carry the weight. What clot used cheap chipboard in the first place? However do be sure there is no risk of the heater coming on during the work, and also watch for airlocks when turning the water back on.
A useful gadget for helping here is a length of strong hose that can be clamped to taps to pump mains water back up the system to remove those annoying hammerings due to trapped air. Also, if the tank is making a lot of noise, maybe you need to look at the heater and replace it now. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 14:01:50 +0100, "Brian-Gaff"

I dunno (is not me) - it's been there many years though.
On 05/10/2015 20:15, dave wrote:

Place polythene on the shelf then use a shedload of expanding foam to fix the tank to the walls. Maybe some large cardboard tubes over the valve and immersions.
What could possibly go wrong?
Cheers
--
Syd

Indeed. Excuse me if I don't try that - not least becuase I make it over 325 Lbs weight of h2o in there.