Ikea kitchens - how much clearance?

OK, wife still hasn't made up her mind what kitchen units she wants and is now talking about dragging me down to Ikea (I must have been very evil in a past life) A quick look through previous post highlights the fact that Ikea units do not have much clearance behind them for pipework etc. Can someone clarify exactly how tight this clearance is as this option may be a no go from the outset.

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I think the clearance is effectively nil. That said, and I think someone else suggested it recently, the main issue is whether you want the rear panel or not and if so are prepared to adjust its position or leave it out. Its flat pack self assembly after all so if its what you want make it work.

Possibly a more important issue is sizing. 400/800 is the norm with Ikea, if you want 500 you may be stuck.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

Its zero IIRC.

Pipes have to go underneath, or build false backs, or a false wall.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep. Try Hygena QA range or sensible fairly robust carcases with a range of not too ghastly doors. I think MFI do these, these days.

Arena kitchens online do better quality.

You WILL if its a smallish kitchen need to make up with 300,400/500/600 and so on sizes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just FYI, Ikea are changing their whole kitchen range in September - so buy plenty of spares.

Reply to
steeler

None. If you are planning on an IKEA kitchen, you need to get pipework run at skirting level so it's below the cupboard bases. Another option is to not fit the cupboard backs, but then you need to be careful installing the cupboards to ensure they are not subject to any parallelogram deformation (and you should prepare and paint the wall behind the cupboards before fitting, if you care about the insides of the cupboards that much). Yet another option is space the cupboards away from the wall using battens -- this would be excellent if you happened to want a deeper worktop.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

Or run the carcasses through the saw to make a new slot for the backs a little way in from the rear.

Reply to
Guy King

You can buy carcasses from elsewhere and buy IKEA doors.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Or simply cut two edges off the back, fix battens inside the carcass where you want the back, and fix it to the battens. This also makes the back removeable in situ later should you need access to the pipes etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Let me guess, just hacksaw of the edge of the door to make it fit the carcass?

Reply to
John Rumm

It that turns you on, yes. I can't comment Chav trends in Essex.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

2007 IKEA catalogue just came through the door. Kitchen units appear substantially unchanged (they do change a few of the styles each year though).
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well according to a friend who works @ Ikea they are totally changing the ranges (and putting up the prices a touch too).

So much so that they have been told not to give out any more "Kitchens 2006" brochures and that new ones will be available mid-Sept.

Reply to
steeler

IKEA do the boxes in 300,400,500,600,800 & 1000 at least. There is no void at the back of the boxes. This is not necessarily a problem, IME.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Well in these parts we try to buy the correct sized door for the carcass since it looks better, and is so much less hassle that trying to cut a wider door down to size.

Each to his own though, you carry on bodging to fit if it makes you happy.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ten cut them with hacksaw. tut,tut.

Reply to