If it says "wear gloves"

no chance of you sinking anyway :)

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Agreed. Maybe a bit longer on fingernails. The hard bit is finding suitable reposts to everybody's witty remarks.

I was only filling a little hole, so I though I'd save the free gloves for a bigger job. But when the valve on the can failed and it wouldn't shut off... :-(

I also have an incredibly well-insulated bucket that I threw it in.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Doran

pleasure at someone elses misfortune? On the other hand there is a definite case of a nig-nog in this story.

I got involved in biulding fibregalss canoes back in the late 60's and clearly remember going through the same process of plugging the ends with 50:1 expanding foam. I seem to remember gettting more concerned about the catalyst being an isocyanate. We had an instructor who had been through all the hoops before and certainly made sure that we used the correct quantity. One thing that we did do was the dunk the end of the canoe into a large bucket of iced cold water to absorb the heat given off.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

Assuming it's bonded to the surface. It doesn't to the nozzle so faffing about trying to clean that part and getting the stuff on your hands(*) is a waste of time. Wait for it to fully cure unscrew the tube from the valve head and pull it of clean, prod about with something small in the valve head and that comes up as well.

The instructions mention vegetable oil which does work to a degree and doesn't dry out your skin like acetone. Tried vegetable oil on oil based paint the other day, removed it fine and again far better for the skin and easier to wash off than turps.

(*) Boy does it stick to skin, lightest of touch and it's stuck fast. I'll be wearing lightweight disposable gloves next time, I couldn't do the fine manipulation required for the tube cleaning with my proper protective rubber gloves on so took 'em off...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've tried that and it does work reasonably well as you say. As I mentioned, I mainly use Resinega now, for this and for oil based paints. There's a fine abrasive sensation and it removes a lot of this type of stuff. However, there's also a skin moisturiser which helps.

I generally use them when I'm using PU glue, but also tend to use disposable glue brushes.

It would make sense if you could buy tops and tubes for the filler stuff separately. Of course that's naive, because then you wouldn't buy far too big a can than is needed and waste half of it.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Whilst I can sympathise, methinks I read here someone else's tale about an item or a procedure that ought to be followed. The manufacturer of that item had put a subtle warning on the label: "Before you do it your way, do it our way."

Now I get blase about warnings just like everyone else reading this newsgroup (sweeping generalisation time), but that particular phrase stuck with me (no pun intended) since the thought is that manufacturers spend thousands on developing their products but someone sitting at home has a better idea of what is required for a particular situation...

I also agree with the sentiment that you must make sure that your enthusiasm does not eclipse your competence.

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo Henning

snipped-for-privacy@despammed.com (Mungo Henning) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Tektronix used to (maybe still do) do that with their excellent and complex oscilloscopes. They also said "please".

But the instrument wouldn't bite you, merely not work if not driven correctly.

In my kitchen I have similar dire warnings on surface descaler and washing soda.

When the state devalues warnings to that extent, the system becomes useless

mike

Reply to
mike ring

It'd be nice if the warnings were expanded with likely consequences.

"Do not spray near naked flame - or large explosion may result" "Wear gloves while applying paint - or you'll get dirty"

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ian Stirling wrote in news:413a3a74$0$31302$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net:

That's one of the best suggestions I've seen.

Don't try to get a job in politics, public safety, etc, etc

mike

Reply to
mike ring

"Ian Stirling" wrote | It'd be nice if the warnings were expanded with likely consequences. | "Do not spray near naked flame - or large explosion may result" | "Wear gloves while applying paint - or you'll get dirty"

"Do not attempt to put on trousers whilst standing up - you will fall over"

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Owain" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@echo.uk.clara.net:

I can do that! at my age.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

No !

I always put on trousers standing up.

Only time I ever fell over was on coming home slightly the worse for wear, oh alright very musch the worse for wear, when try as I might I could not get my pyjama bottoms on. Firing them into the corner in disgust I awoke in the morning to find the bottoms under the pillow and the top in the corner.

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

In message , Paul Mc Cann writes

You wear PJs?

Not during the summer I trust

Reply to
raden

It's probably just in case of fire.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from "Owain" contains these words:

I always do, and I don't.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..