Identify a 36 tpi screw

Trying to identify a machine screw.

Certainly not metric ... can anybody help identify the thread ...

OD is 0.156" so assume its a 5/32"

Pitch is 36

That is a fine pitch

Only thing I can find that matches is No #8 UNF not sure if I can get one of those in UK (feel free to point me somewhere if you know)

Reply to
rick

Local to me (Guildford) is 'Margnor' who have every thread I've ever heard of - and others too.

They now have an on-line shop.

Reply to
charles

Most places have some place like that. I have

Just walk in with the screw etc and they can usually ID it in seconds.

Reply to
ARW

Look for a fastener supplier in your area. If not, try somewhere that supplies spares for restoring older car. Before everything went Metric, UNF was commonly used in cars.

Reply to
nightjar

eBay has about everything you need:

Head Cap Screws Hex-Key Black UNC UNF No.8 No.6 No.5 No.4 No.2 No.10

Reply to
Fredxx

The problem I've encountered since the demise of the small local handyman shops is that you need to buy a lot just to get a couple of them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I do miss the local ironmongers shops that used to be everywhere. I once needed a 1/4" BSF x 1/4" cup point socket set screw in a hurry. When I asked the chap in the ironmonger's shop down the road he went straight to a small brown box on a shelf under the stairs and got me one. I'm not sure how many shop assistants these days would even know what I was asking for.

Reply to
nightjar

Places like this?

ARW

Not enough mysterious brown boxes. :-)

This is more the thing:

nightjar

I'm sure we all learned long ago to take at least one half of the wotsit in to show the guys.

I had a vacation job in a French lab as a student, where they taught me the invaluable phrase to use when I needed a replacement from Stores:

"Ce truc est foutue"

Surprising how often I have used it since.

Reply to
newshound

Funny, but totally fails to amuse me when asking for 13A plugs for the bathroom.

Reply to
ARW

'truc' wasn't in my French vocabulary - it is now.

Reply to
charles

I've know a number of places with bathrooms that would be large enough to permit that.

Reply to
nightjar

I don't know what the regs say, but I think it would be a very bad idea to facilitate the use of portable electrical appliances in a bathroom by fitting a socket in the room.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Sockets in the bathroom may avoid substantial trips hazard for the servants when they are cleaning the chandeliers, polishing the marble, etc. Even little lives matter!

Reply to
Robin

Well, not like this

But I do occasionally use the vacuum cleaner on the floor and edges of the ceiling in the bathroom (fortunately it has a long lead).

Reply to
Adam Funk

Sockets must be at least 3 metres from a bath or shower.

I think the point of the 3m distance is that not many have flexes that long and the ones that do, such as vacuum cleaners, aren't things you would take into the bath with you.

Reply to
nightjar

On 09/08/2021 11:04, Robin wrote: ...

Apart from there being little evidence of the chandelier being cleaned, not far off the hotel bathroom last time I stayed in Venice. Like most conversions of old buildings into hotels, the bathroom obviously started life as a more important room, but happened to be the only space they could use when adding a bathroom.

Reply to
nightjar

I've stayed in a Georgian farm house in Derbyshire where the bathroom had obviously been one of the bedrooms.

Reply to
charles

Not when that show was broadcast:-)

15th edition back then?