Ideas for tool store lid

I need to buy a piece of board (no time for attempts at decent carpentry) to make a garden toolstore lid approx 6ft by 2.5ft.

I made the toolstore from feather board (used to be my shed) some time ago but didn't get the lid right.

I just want to get a piece cut to size, treat it and fit some (larger) hinges.

What's my best buy? Ideas/suggestions much appreciated.

Pic here if that helps

BigBird

for the uprights?

As for the lid, perhaps a piece of that weathproof board cut to size in one of the sheds then covered with roofing felt? I think it's called oriented strand board.

Bob

Reply to
Beep-beep

I wouldn't go by my design, adequate and funtional but just a little bit pants too. I cobbled that together because I wanted to get rid of my oversized shed. The uprights are 3" fence posts so it certainly isn't going to blow away in the wind but I'm sure 2x2 would be more than adequate.

That's the way I'm going but without the felt if possible. I'm hoping that somebody will be able to what will be adequate (when treated, probably coloured woodcare or I have some deck seal which may do the job) rather than me making a best guess.

I'll take a look at that.

Reply to
BigBird

Stockboard would be OK untreated, but you wont find that at the sheds. why dont you just put felt on your existing lid? Easiest option.

Marine ply is the one really, but snot cheap. Chip should be avoided at all costs, its about as useful as papier mache.

I hope youre not going to pay stupid money for sheds wood preservative when you can buy better for 2.50 a gallon.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

The original lid has been through a few gales since then (pics a few years old). It would have been ok if I had glued and nailed it but I didn't so it died.

That is the stuff which first came to mind (think I considered it for the lid originally before I slapped one together) not sure I've seen it in the sheds though.

Well not too stupid I hope. I have a load lying around but I quite fancy green for this to look right where its' going in the garden, but I'm a tight git so I'll only get it if the price is right. What stuff were you thinking of?

Thanks for the reply BTW.

Reply to
BigBird

50% new cheapo engine oil, 50% paraffin or diesel, mix, brush on. So far I've found it works better than any of the sheds £20 stuff, and at almost a tenth the cost. I cant think offhand of anything you could safely add to make it green though, would presumably have to stain it separaetly.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton